Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey John:

Great pictures. Must have been real fun going there to visit you grandparents. Wish mine had A cool place like that.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on September 08, 2020, 01:58:42 PM
Hey John:

Great pictures. Must have been real fun going there to visit you grandparents. Wish mine had A cool place like that.

Karl

Karl

I got to know by Grandparents well enough to know how hard they worked to make a living on that farm.  It is cool to go back and visit the old homestead.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Update: Today, I got the cows in the barn and got them fed. I have a lot of details to add but the stanchions are in and the cows, feed areas and walkways.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I decided to get the SLR out and take a few more pictures before proceeding with the detailing.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, John.

I'm expecting a cow pat under the cow with its tail up.  I learnt pretty quick as a young fellow that that was the all clear signal!  Have you thought about adding some hay on each side of the mouths of one or two of the cows with their heads up?

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on September 08, 2020, 08:51:14 PM
Looks great, John.

I'm expecting a cow pat under the cow with its tail up.  I learnt pretty quick as a young fellow that that was the all clear signal!  Have you thought about adding some hay on each side of the mouths of one or two of the cows with their heads up?

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Great minds think alike - I have added some hay in the mouths of the cows that are close to the outer edge.  The cows in the middle will not be very visible.  If you look under the raised tail you will see a glob of glue which is the start of the cow pat or cow flop as they were called on my Grandparents farm. I'm working on the lighting so I can add the ceiling and light it up - I want to see how much will be visible in the finished barn before getting to carried away with details that will not be visible. I plan on a wheelbarrow full of fresh cow flops and I have a figure that is a guy milking one of the cows. I also plan on some straw on the floor along with the hay.
John Siekirk

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Jerry

Perfect!  Even the cows seem to like all the work you did for them!!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

bparrish

John....

Great stuff.........  The stone work is really cool.

Pats or patties have so many localized names. 

Meadow muffins.......... cow flops are a common name here in downtown Idaho. 

In the winter they are called prairie steamers when they are really fresh.  For some very visible reasons.

They were cow pies in northern Illinois where I grew up.

Again.......... great modeling.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on September 09, 2020, 12:25:05 PM
Perfect!  Even the cows seem to like all the work you did for them!!!

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the kind words - I think the cows will be happier when there is a roof over their heads. I'm having a lot of fun with this kit - Dario did a great job with it.  It really lends itself to customization, too. I'm starting to build walls, today.
John Siekirk