Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 03, 2020, 07:53:49 AM
Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 02, 2020, 11:51:50 PM
Coming on nicely, John.

I like the idea of the joist holders - might have to make some of those.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark,

Here's a source for the joist jigs.  I know postage from the US is expensive.  FWIW,

https://www.rail-scale-models.com/products/HO-Construction-Jigs

Mark

This is the joist jigs that I use.  Thank you for the reference work Jerry - I was just going to look them up.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 03, 2020, 07:55:12 AM
John,

Great to see your progress on both builds.  (What's up with the smaller than usual photos from you?)

Jerry

Something changed with the latest update of the operating system on my Mac.  I need to go in and play around with it to see if I can get more detailed photographs, again.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey John:

All I can say is WOW1111 I really love the farm especially the barn.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 03, 2020, 09:05:30 AM
That scene is going to be incredible

Curt

Thank you for the encouraging words - I'm adding the dirt to the Beach Farms diorama, today.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 03, 2020, 09:11:15 AM
Hey John:

All I can say is WOW1111 I really love the farm especially the barn.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the kind words - I'm looking forward to getting the camera out and taking pictures of this diorama in place on the layout.  I have a lot of fence and some out buildings to build before that will happen.  I also need to finish the background scenery on the layout.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks John and Jerry.

Its probably one of those things where the postage would be more than the product.  It would depend on what else they sell - I'll look into it.  If I make some I'll probably make the check outs shallower to give me the option of 6"x2" and 8"x2" joists as well.

Cheers, Mark.

deemery

I think Motrak Models also has joist spacers.  And these should be small enough to fit into a conventional envelope, which would make them cheaper to ship outside the US.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

I got started on adding the sand to the landforms for the Beach Farms diorama, today.  I thought I would show a few progress photographs of the process. This is the first layer of beach sand which I use to establish the shape of the landforms.  Fine sand is next and then all the scenery materials.

Sorry Jerry, I forgot to look at my picture setting before I download the pictures to the Gallery. I'll try to get back to the bigger pictures on the next update.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I use the program Photos on my Mac to resize pictures for the forum.  I used to use the lowest jpg setting and size settings. They now give me pictures on the forum that are smaller.  I changed to medium for both the quality and size and didn't see any difference.  When I go to large for both settings I get the picture quality and size above.  Which is very close to what I used to get with the low settings. Something changed in the photos software.  I will take a look at file sizes and report back.

Files size on the small is 69 KB, medium is 106 KB and Large is 472 KB - all well below the limit that Jimmy has set for the forum.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

The larger file size looks the best from here!

I take all my WIP photos on my iPhone so I find that any new phone also changes things up, given they have likely received a bump in megapixels.

Still loving the model, John!

jerryrbeach

John,

Love the amount of detail I can see in the larger photo.  Farm is looking great!
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looks just gorgeous. Keep the pics flowing. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on December 04, 2020, 07:28:12 AM
The larger file size looks the best from here!

I take all my WIP photos on my iPhone so I find that any new phone also changes things up, given they have likely received a bump in megapixels.

Still loving the model, John!

Craig

I also take most of my WIP pictures with my iPhone. Things change from time to time with the software upgrades. I like the bigger pictures and continually adjust to stay about the same size.
John Siekirk