Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

On Photos.app on the Mac, when I do "Export", I pick "Size -> Custom".  Then set max "Dimension" to 800, and JPEG Quality to "High".  Sometimes the resulting file will be too large, in which case I usually decrease the max dimension but keep the quality. 

I sure wish I could easily post photos again!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 04, 2020, 07:35:53 AM
John,

Love the amount of detail I can see in the larger photo.  Farm is looking great!

Jerry

Thank you - I will keep making the necessary adjustments to keep the bigger picture format.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 04, 2020, 08:24:10 AM
Hey John:

Looks just gorgeous. Keep the pics flowing. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Karl

Karl

Thank you - I will be adding some more details today. Pictures to follow.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on December 04, 2020, 08:47:34 AM
On Photos.app on the Mac, when I do "Export", I pick "Size -> Custom".  Then set max "Dimension" to 800, and JPEG Quality to "High".  Sometimes the resulting file will be too large, in which case I usually decrease the max dimension but keep the quality. 

dave

Dave

I use the boxes rather than custom because photos pops up with the same setting each time and saves me some time.  I may run into the size limit with the large setting but time will tell.
John Siekirk

deemery

Photos.app remembers your last "Custom" settings, so it's a 'set once and reuse' situation for me  :D

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: deemery on December 04, 2020, 08:47:34 AM

dave

Dave,

Are you using an iPhone/iPad? John, you say you are so let me make you aware of this "hidden" trick:

You can compress photos right from an iOS device. Whether an attachment in a thread or an upload to your gallery, after you hit that "Choose File" button here on the forum and you select your desired image to upload, you presented with a preview screen asking to confirm your selection.

Take pause here.

At the bottom center of this screen you'll see the words "Actual Size (xxMB)"

If you click those words, you'll be presented with Small, Medium & Large options with file size reduced by examples. Choose the one you want and have fun uploading compressed images without having to do anything.

PRR Modeler

Looks awesome John. Is that actual beach sand? What do you do to anchor/glue it down?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

A test of Craig's picture posting tip.  I haven't posted pictures with my phone or iPad because of the bug we had so here we go.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Okay - it works and eliminates the export step on my MacBook.  Thank you Craig.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 04, 2020, 09:28:08 AM
Looks awesome John. Is that actual beach sand? What do you do to anchor/glue it down?

Curt

Thank you - yes it is beach sand.  Here in Michigan if you dig a hole just about anywhere you will find beach sand. At my cabin its down about 3 feet.  It works great for landforms - I just add fine sand on top of it for the top layer. After spreading it - I wet it down with wet water and then 4:1 Matt Medium. It takes a couple days to dry in the deep areas.
John Siekirk

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: S&S RR on December 04, 2020, 12:09:28 PM

Most welcome -- and the upload looks great! Out of curiosity, did you upload to your gallery first and then link it here in a post?

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on December 04, 2020, 12:47:56 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on December 04, 2020, 12:09:28 PM

Most welcome -- and the upload looks great! Out of curiosity, did you upload to your gallery first and then link it here in a post?

Craig

Yes - I use the gallery to store the pictures and link them to the posts.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I finished adding the sand to establish the landscape of the Beach Farms diorama.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also made some progress on the G. Wilikers build. The platform and platform shed got a dry fit before I add some sand to the baseboard under the platform.

John Siekirk