Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Today, I made my first section of fencing for the Beach Farms diorama using the jig I made out of styrene.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I also added the finer top layer of sand to the diorama.  This is a darker and finer layer of sand.  This sand actually comes from my cabin where my dad used to have his garden.  This will be the base for the static grass and scenery materials. It will also be the garden soil for the garden I plan to have behind the farm house.

I will probably add another layer in a few areas before I start to add the scenery material.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 11, 2020, 04:15:46 AM
Hey John:

All I can say is WOW!!!!! also.

Karl

Karl

Thank you - A little more each day. At least most days. ;)
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Beautiful modeling.  The peeling walls really pop with the darker sand.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

sdrees

We will see how you do with the static grass.  I have been also trying my skills with it.  Only so so now.
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 11, 2020, 09:11:02 AM
Beautiful modeling.  The peeling walls really pop with the darker sand.
Curt

Thank you for the kind words - I'm really happy with how that technique worked.  It will be old socks for the peal paint effect for me from now on - Thanks again to Mark for sharing that technique.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on December 11, 2020, 12:38:25 PM
We will see how you do with the static grass.  I have been also trying my skills with it.  Only so so now.

Steve

I'm going to try a technique that Martin Welberg demonstrated in a clinic on at the Sacramento Narrow Gauge Convention. It's been awhile so I need to refresh my memory and look at my notes. I also need to check and see if he has a U-tube version that I can review.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  My workbench has a Silo, a chicken coupe, and a tractor shed in various stages of completion, on it. I also plan on a pig pen which is only a sketch at this point. There is also about 6 sections of fence that have been produced using the fence fixture from, yesterday.  I also continue to add details to the G. Wilikers build - just added the down spouts before lunch.  I'll post some pictures when there is more to look at.
John Siekirk

bparrish

John.....

A modeling challenge for you sir.....

30+ years ago I had a pig with a civil engineering degree from some unknown institution of higher learning.

He dug a perfectly square wallow with vertical sides and a single walk way in and out.

The gauntlet is down sir..  ! !! !

see ya

Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

sdrees

John, there has been a recent discussion of static grass applicators on the Sierra West site under the Scotia thread.  I recently bought the Noch 3.0 Grassmaster which puts out 11,000 volts.  I am not that happy with it.  Two of the members from Europe swear by the RTS Greenkeeper 55KV applicator which has 5 times the output of the Noch.  But it is pricey.
Steve Drees
SP RR

deemery

I put the question "Which Static Grass dispenser?" on Railroad-Line:  http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52007 
Also I checked with Bernie Kempinski, who has some blog entries on this.  He's still using "Grass Tech II Flocket Rocket".  Kathy Millatt recommended the WWS system, https://www.kathymillatt.co.uk/2017/02/02/how-to-make-static-grass-look-amazing/

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on December 11, 2020, 05:01:34 PM
John.....

A modeling challenge for you sir.....

30+ years ago I had a pig with a civil engineering degree from some unknown institution of higher learning.

He dug a perfectly square wallow with vertical sides and a single walk way in and out.

The gauntlet is down sir..  ! !! !

see ya

Bob

Wow - a square wallow. I have this picture in my mind of the pig pen on my grandparents farm - I do remember a lot of mud and a wood feeding trough. I also remember how crazy the pigs got when you fed them turnips. The building is long gone so I don't have prototype pictures to go by.
John Siekirk