Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on January 12, 2021, 07:00:38 PM
I smell pigs.   Kinda like Iowa.  :)   Great work on the diorama.

Jeffr

Jeff

Thank you - I thought I might get a comment from you on the weathering work I did on the pigs.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 12, 2021, 07:36:00 PM
Prototype scents, the next frontier in modeling....https://mugdown.com/2018/02/01/rosenthal-meat-center-to-begin-selling-manure-scented-candles-to-students-on-west-campus/

dave

Dave

Thank you for the tip - but I'm not sure that the CFO will approve of me taking my modeling to that dimension.
John Siekirk

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Your efforts on this one sure paid off. Just fantastic my friend. I very much appreciate all the effort put into sharing your build.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 13, 2021, 06:29:56 PM
John,

Your efforts on this one sure paid off. Just fantastic my friend. I very much appreciate all the effort put into sharing your build.

Tom  ;D

Tom

Thank you for following along and your words of encouragement. I hope this forum can continue to grow and flourish. I also appreciate all of your efforts in helping it to do so, my friend.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I took a few pictures of the pig pen and the chicken coop areas before moving the Beach Farms diorama to my bigger workbench where I could work on the back side of the diorama.  This first picture is the pig pen showing the wallow.  For those of you that follow along on this thread you will remember that Bob Parish challenged me to create a pig wallow that was rectangular with one path in (like his smart pig made).  If you look at the wallow in the upper left corner of this Beach Farms pig it is also rectangular but the Beach Farms pigs are so smart that they know how to pump the water when needed.

The pigs were just feed garden scraps and only have their minds on one thing at this point.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The pumps are prototypical from my Grandparents farm.  The water table was at about 12 feet and there were pumps all over the farm to water the animals.  In the pig pen the handles where situated so you could pump by reaching over the fence, as you see in this scene.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also have the chicken coop completed to the point where any additions or changes will be made once the diorama is on the layout.  Here is a progress picture. If you study the picture you will find a couple other types of birds. One has the chickens very nervous.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I can't wait to take some pictures of this diorama with the good camera and proper lighting.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Chicken coop looks great, John!

Don't tell me you hand painted that peacock!  The wire mesh is very well done.

A question re the wells.  I know you are basing this on the old family farm - but I would have thought they would have put one well fairly centrally and hand bucketed water around from there.  Surely they cost a bomb to sink?  I also have to ask why the entire pig area looks wet when all the other scenery is dry?  We have a wallow for Marilla and Dorothy (yes - they are pet kune kune pigs) but not much else except the wallow (and the pigs) gets wet.  In the winter or after a decent rain - sure, but like I say, everything else looks dry.  BTW - I'm only pointing out potential improvements because of the quality I know you strive for.

Its a lot of fun watching this scene come to life!

Cheers, Mark.

Jerry

Just getting back to this thread John.  Wonderful work on this.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

PRR Modeler

Incredible looking John. How did you get the "mud" to look wet?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Keep It Rusty

WOW. Incredible. The coup is fantastic. As is the sty. Wonderful work John!