Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 14, 2021, 11:24:11 PM
Chicken coop looks great, John!

Don't tell me you hand painted that peacock!  The wire mesh is very well done.

A question re the wells.  I know you are basing this on the old family farm - but I would have thought they would have put one well fairly centrally and hand bucketed water around from there.  Surely they cost a bomb to sink?  I also have to ask why the entire pig area looks wet when all the other scenery is dry?  We have a wallow for Marilla and Dorothy (yes - they are pet kune kune pigs) but not much else except the wallow (and the pigs) gets wet.  In the winter or after a decent rain - sure, but like I say, everything else looks dry.  BTW - I'm only pointing out potential improvements because of the quality I know you strive for.

Its a lot of fun watching this scene come to life!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the encouraging words and comments.  I agree that I still have some work to do on the pig pen because all the mud is the same color.  The pumps called pitcher pumps here in the states are very inexpensive and were placed conveniently all over my Grandparents farm.  I remember installing a few as a kid.  We just drove a pipe in the ground 10-14 feet with a well point attached. We had a weight that slipped over the pipe for driving it down through the sand. The only issue was if you hit a big rock.  We would move it over a couple feet and drive it down again. You kept putting a plumb bob done the pipe until you got 6 - 12 inches of water - and then attached a pitcher pump and you had a well.  One of my jobs as a kid was pumping water in the various watering stations.  In the summer we kept the pig pen pretty wet so the pigs could roll in the mud and keep cool. I remember having one pump for the water trough and another for the wallow. I think this setup was pretty unique to the area where the farm was located.  I imagine the site I have picked out on my layout in a mountain valley would be blessed with a similar water table. You can buy one for $60 dollars today.  I should point out that this was ground water that was fine for the pigs and cows.  The wells we used for our drinking water were well over 100 feet deep. If I remember correctly the well at my cabin is 180 feet deep.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on January 15, 2021, 12:36:59 AM
Just getting back to this thread John.  Wonderful work on this.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along and the encouraging comments.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 15, 2021, 08:38:20 AM
Incredible looking John. How did you get the "mud" to look wet?

Jerry

Thank you for the kind words.  The mud affect is a technique borrowed from the military modelers. Vallejo and AK Interactive make the paint products.  Here is a picture of the ones that I have stocked and used. I'm still learning how best to use the products but so far I'm very happy with the results. The product is basically acrylic paint with sand added.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  Today, I started getting the area on the layout ready for the Beach Farms diorama. I have some landforms to complete and lots of trees to plant to finish the backdrop for this area. I will be taking pictures as I go.  I'm trying a new technique using foam for the land forms.  Here is a picture of the area before I got started, with the horse barn in position.

John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks for the explanation of you wells (pitcher pumps), John.

I've been a city dweller up until 3 years ago and so don't know a lot about these sorts of things.  I did some conversion, and like at your cabin, our bore is 177' deep.

Mario has done a lot with 'FRocKs' (foam rocks).

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body__frocks_.html

Cheers, mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 16, 2021, 10:47:58 PM
Thanks for the explanation of you wells (pitcher pumps), John.

I've been a city dweller up until 3 years ago and so don't know a lot about these sorts of things.  I did some conversion, and like at your cabin, our bore is 177' deep.

Mario has done a lot with 'FRocKs' (foam rocks).

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body__frocks_.html

Cheers, mark.

Mark

Thank you for following along and the link to Mario's site.  The shallow well's are a product of the Geology here in the Great Lakes region of the USA. The area is basically beach sand for about 10 - 14 feet then there is a hard layer of clay that takes water a long time to penetrate. That is what my Grandparents were taking advantage of with the pitcher pump wells. In a dry summer they sometimes would dry up.  The human drinking quality water is down much deeper where nature has had a chance to purify it.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 18, 2021, 09:57:16 AM
John,

Love that farm.

Tom  ;D

Tom

Thank you, I'm real happy with the way it is turning out. I have a few days of detailing on my workbench left to do and then it will be moving to the layout.  I'm currently working on the scenery that will serve as the backdrop for the diorama.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a progress picture of the Beach Farms on my workbench. Adding the static grass to the back half of the diorama. I also added a fence to go around the vegetable garden.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

On the layout the horse barn and shingle mill found new locations. It was one of those what if moment that stuck.  I'm adding the foam for the land forms.  I will cover the foam with sand and then ground foam and static grass.  Then I have a lot of trees to add.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on January 19, 2021, 12:11:43 AM
John, What a work of art...Dennis

Dennis

Thank you for following along and the kind words.  I have been adding static grass to be back half of diorama again today. I also started putting in more fences. The foam is in for the landforms so I will start putting in the sand as soon as the glue dries.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I made some progress with the background scenery for the Beach Farms diorama. In this picture the horse barn and the shingle mill are in their new locations. The foam for the landforms is in and the sanding process has begun.  The gap you see on the right side between the first and second layer has been filled.  I didn't see it when I was laying up on top of the layout.  You can also see that I had the paint tray out doing some touchup painting on the mountains.  Every single white spot must be covered with paint or scenery materials or it looks terrible in the photographs. I will be taking pictures from different angles and inspecting for white spots.  It takes a few iterations to get rid of the all.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

When I quit for the day about 80% of the foam had been covered with sand.
John Siekirk