Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

The two photographs on the top left are from the F&SM.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

John,

I have the Bonney Wrench kit and it is one that will get my attention prior to the end of this year.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 23, 2021, 05:04:03 PM
John,

I have the Bonney Wrench kit and it is one that will get my attention prior to the end of this year.

Tom  ;D

Tom

So far it looks like a quick little build.  I'm thinking about some interior detailing and lighting.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

The Bonney Wrenches pics look great. It's one of my favorite F&SM buildings.

Karl

postalkarl

Bernd

Quote from: postalkarl on February 24, 2021, 04:51:02 PM
Hey John:

Who is KC that manufactures the kit.

Karl

I was curious too, so I did a search and came up with this link: https://kcworkshop.com/

Hope you don't mind John?

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

S&S RR

Karl and Bernd

Thank you for posting the link - I'm not sure if this kit is still available.

KC made a few of these kits a while back - I forget how I heard about it but I ordered one.  It is a basic laser cut kit but there are no directions so you need to figure out a lot on your own. Which is great for someone that has built a lot of kits like you guys but not so much for someone that is less experienced at model building.  This is the only one of KC's kits that I have built so I don't know how he does it for the other kits in his line. I will post some pictures of the build so you can see how it goes together.  Like always, I'm making some changes.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Followup on KC's:  I took a look at his website and it looks like you can still buy the kit. He explains in the add for the kit that this was a special case with no instructions.  And also, to clear up a minor point the building on the F&SM is the Peter Lynch & Sons building, the Bonney Wrench sign is on the side of the building. I have a number of pictures of the building on the F&SM in the F&SM photograph threads on this forum.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a couple pictures of the Peter Lynch building going together. Like the structure on George's layout I will have some interior detail through the left garage door and in the right end of the building. The next step in the build is the floor. When it's complete I'm going to stain it with driftwood stain and then paint it white using the sock technique that I used on the Beach Farms Barn. The window and door castings are ready to go into the paint both.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Another project that I have going right now is the preparation of the castings for the next three builds on my list.  I usually do these in batches of three plus I add some other miscellaneous castings that I have purchased in this case from Slim. As you can see there are lots of barrels in this batch.  I'm just getting started - there are a couple hundred more castings in this batch.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

For Dennis and others that were interested in where I got my pounce wheel for nail heads, here is the contact information.

I have bought tools from the two sources listed in the picture and the contact information for the manufacture in Ireland is also shown. 

I have two of them because at one point my original tool was MIA. After I bought the second one it turned up under the workbench in a spot where I couldn't see it with a flash light. I moved the bench one day and there it was in the last place I looked.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on February 26, 2021, 11:54:30 PM
Thank you John. On a search I go.....lol

Good luck with your search. There were a few places where you could get them before COVID - not sure if they were affected by the shipping problems. Try White Rose Hobbies that is where I bought my last one.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, They got the wheels but no tool. Not even a listing.Dennis :(
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)