Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Bernd on March 26, 2021, 10:02:46 AM
Great pictures John. I think you've captured the farm look very well.

Saw the tractors. My father in law had a saying about green and red tractors. He said the reason "they"* painted the tractors green was so they could hide in the hedge row while the "red"* tractors got their work done.

* green tractor = John Deer
* red tractor = Massey Ferguson

Bernd

Bernd

Thank you for the kind words- I worked  for John Deere for a couple years, so I have heard a few different versions of that story. ;)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on March 26, 2021, 01:16:32 PM
John,  this just great.  There are so many details all over the scene to look  at.  Beautiful!

Steve

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. This was a fun build.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on March 26, 2021, 05:30:12 PM
Amazing.. it's totally wonderful. great scene on your layout
Eric

Eric

Thank you so much for the very kind words.
John Siekirk

PaulS

John,
First off, so very sorry to hear about your mom.  Wishing you all peace and grace in these difficult times ...

The farm scene looks spectacular !!  And I have no doubt that it looks even better in person.  You did a fabulous job in creating the look and feel of an authentic working farm, quite a beautiful piece of modeling for sure ....

John, if I am not mistaken (and I could be), I thought that you had presented fairly recently a jig that you showed for aligning and making nail holes on your structure walls.  I believe you mounted a cutting mat on a board and used a straight edge aligned with the bottom.  Ringing any bells or am I way off??   If so, would you mind sharing that again with me or us.
Thanks much and be well,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

S&S RR

Quote from: PaulS on March 27, 2021, 05:34:31 PM
John,
First off, so very sorry to hear about your mom.  Wishing you all peace and grace in these difficult times ...

The farm scene looks spectacular !!  And I have no doubt that it looks even better in person.  You did a fabulous job in creating the look and feel of an authentic working farm, quite a beautiful piece of modeling for sure ....

John, if I am not mistaken (and I could be), I thought that you had presented fairly recently a jig that you showed for aligning and making nail holes on your structure walls.  I believe you mounted a cutting mat on a board and used a straight edge aligned with the bottom.  Ringing any bells or am I way off??   If so, would you mind sharing that again with me or us.
Thanks much and be well,
--Paul

Paul

Thank you for the kind words and the well wishes. The jig you described doesn't ring any bells.   I use a square as a guide for my pounce wheel when I make nail heads on clapboard. It works great with the walls flat or on assembled walls.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 28, 2021, 09:19:29 AM
Morning John, Paul might be talking about what Jerry said?
http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=5687.30

Dennis

Thank you for finding and linking the post that Paul was referring to.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I'm working on the next batch of pictures of Beach Farms. Please stay tuned.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Absolutely terrific, John!

The whole scene is brilliant as well as some great mini scenes.  Like Karl - I just love the chicken coop!  A lovely set of photos to explore.

Cheers, Mark.

PaulS

John, Dennis and Jerry,
Thanks very much for the info and link on the cutting mat alignment jig !!

John, looking forward to your next set of photos of the Beach Farms, and hard to believe it could get much better as it is stunning as is.
Thanks and be well,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

nycjeff

Hello John, I hope that working at the hobby helps you through a very tough time. You did a great job with the farm scene. Like everyone else, I love the junk hill, but I can't believe that nobody has commented on the peacock in the chicken coop. Where on earth did you find that peacock ?    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on March 30, 2021, 01:55:12 PM
Absolutely terrific, John!

The whole scene is brilliant as well as some great mini scenes.  Like Karl - I just love the chicken coop!  A lovely set of photos to explore.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you so much. I'm going to concentrate on the interior details of the barn for the next set of pictures.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PaulS on March 30, 2021, 03:19:34 PM
John, Dennis and Jerry,
Thanks very much for the info and link on the cutting mat alignment jig !!

John, looking forward to your next set of photos of the Beach Farms, and hard to believe it could get much better as it is stunning as is.
Thanks and be well,
--Paul

Paul

Thank you for following along, I should have the next batch of pictures posted this evening.
John Siekirk