Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Judge on April 14, 2021, 09:45:22 AM
John - the farmer will be very unhappy when he learns that peacocks are terrible.  They are big birds and their "leavings" are stinky.  Also, they screech at night and sound like a woman being attacked.  Additionally, they like to roost on pool screens or roofs.  They will come up next to your car and, upon seeing their reflection in the paint, will peck spots of paint off the area.  We had them in our neighborhood and it was a real problem getting rid of them.

Judge

You make some good points about the peacocks.  I just thought the looked good there. If the peacocks get out of control and start causing trouble the Beach family has very quick and easy ways of dealing with them, living in the mountains has its advantages.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on April 14, 2021, 01:00:00 PM
Hey John:

Looking good so far. I'll be following along.

Karl

Karl

Great to have you along on the journey, thank you for the encouraging words.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on April 14, 2021, 03:26:00 PM
Thanks for the mental picture, John.

I look forward to the iPad renderings.  It sounds like it will be a lot of fun to create.  My friend, Neil, has a home built creeper that sounds similar to what you are looking at building.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Stay tuned for the iPad renderings.  I'm thinking of having a bridge with stationary legs that have pads designed into the layout. I have two places on the layout where hatches are necessary and I think I can use the same bridge for both locations. First, I have to go to the lumber yard and buy the wood I need for the project - I here I'm in for a shock with wood prices since the COVID shut downs.
John Siekirk

NKP768

We have an Amish family down the road that has peacocks - they supposedly keep the coyotes out of the chickens - we'll have one wonder into the yard and moezee around and then leave - usually with our GSD hot on its tail......

Doug

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: NKP768 on April 15, 2021, 03:23:59 PM
We have an Amish family down the road that has peacocks - they supposedly keep the coyotes out of the chickens - we'll have one wonder into the yard and moezee around and then leave - usually with our GSD hot on its tail......

Doug

Doug

Interesting about keeping the coyotes out of the chickens. I'm not sure why that would work - the coyotes around here are very hard on the deer herd.  Especially the fawns.
John Siekirk

NKP768

I can only guess that the coyote's don't want pooped on......man they make a mess....

Doug

Judge

John - Peacocks are protected in Florida.  You are not supposed to kill them.  Our neighborhood got rid of the peacocks when one of the neighborhood kids decided to use them for archery practice.  Silent, but deadly. 

Don't get rid of your peacocks.  They are decorative and most folks don't know their downsides.  Just don't name them.  It's harder to change your mind and exterminate them if you've named them. 

S&S RR

Quote from: Judge on April 17, 2021, 06:16:27 AM
John - Peacocks are protected in Florida.  You are not supposed to kill them.  Our neighborhood got rid of the peacocks when one of the neighborhood kids decided to use them for archery practice.  Silent, but deadly. 

Don't get rid of your peacocks.  They are decorative and most folks don't know their downsides.  Just don't name them.  It's harder to change your mind and exterminate them if you've named them.

Judge

Okay, the peacock's can stay as long as they behave themselves.
John Siekirk

Jerry

Should be an interesting addition to the landscape!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Tonight, since it's been awhile since I have posted on this thread, I thought I would post the rough draft sketch of the town of Vansel from my iPad.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is the version from a program called Affinity Photo where I can add pictures of the kits in the various locations to get a rough idea of what the scene will look like.  You can get real fancy with the software and get rid of the backgrounds but I usually don't take the time to do that. I'm happy enough with the scene in this corner of Vansel that I'm going to put in the upper benchwork and start designing the upper level of the town.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The next step for this design concept will be to crate a sketch with all of the structures I plan to use for the scene - footprints only first.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the area as I started to clear away the lower benchwork to make room for the new upper level.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looks good. Can't wait for some progress shots.

Karl