Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: Great Lakes Lighthouse Diorama  (Read 1619 times)

Jim Donovan

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Great Lakes Lighthouse Diorama
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2020, 08:55:43 AM »
I also applied to signs to the front retaining wall. One says No Parking and the other No Dumping, you can imagine how well that is going to work out.

While everything on the diorama was drying I worked on the lighthouse. Using brown heavy EZ string as vine stock I smeared Elmers glue on it. I then passed it though a tray of Scenic Express Super Leave. I had mixed a lite green color and dark green color together to produce variation. To cover any sections missing leaves I simply sprinkled leave over the line while holding it. When I made several lengths of the vines and let everything dry overnight.

Next day to add more color to the vines I airbrushed them just like I did the static grass. Using a toothpick I placed Elmers glue up the seam on the tower to cover it with the vines. I also had branches of the glue come off the main section so as to create a realistic pattern. The vine strings were placed carefully on the glue and worked into place. I made sure a couple hung down below the foundation so they could be continued on the front of the retaining wall. Here is what came out.

Holland & Odessa R.R.

Jim Donovan

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Great Lakes Lighthouse Diorama
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 09:03:07 AM »
With the grass in place everything was put back on but this time each has some glue holding in place. I also decided the lightpole was just to 'nice' for this scene so it was removed and a telephone pole (1/8 dowel that had been roughed up and stained brown with Hunterline) put in its place.

So here is were we are now. Starting to come together.

Holland & Odessa R.R.