Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: 2020 Challenge Carolina Craftsman Kit #CCK1359 - AD Low & Company  (Read 2967 times)

GPdemayo

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Challenge Carolina Craftsman Kit #CCK1359 - AD Low & Company
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2020, 09:35:55 AM »
Greg,
What happened to Gregspeed.......................
Nice so far............
Mike

Greg Speed for modeling got lost in the 6 years I've been absent from building.....not in running a steamer down on Tom's layout.  ;)

I've started off with easier kits and will have to build up the ole' skills before I take on any of the great kits I have in the stash. The plan is to increase the degree of difficulty a bit with each kit.

I've been looking at the FSM kits that I have and have tentatively selected one of the moldy oldies as the next victim on the road back.

Stay tuned.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2020, 07:56:39 AM »
Hey Greg:

Walls are looking just great so far. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Karl

GPdemayo

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2020, 02:14:27 PM »
Thanks Karl.....I should have a bit more done to post soon.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2020, 02:25:21 PM »

Hello again.

This installment is about the bracing and blocking I used to get the assembly ready to mount against the rear wall of the main building.

In the photo below, all the bracing is glued and the glue blocking is added to the rear of the addition to aid in attaching it to the main structure.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-047)

The next 3 photos show the sides and back wall of the addition. The wood is prepped and ready for painting. After painting, the door and window will be glued in place, but that will be another day.

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-049)

Exhibit #3 - (ADL-051)

Exhibit #4 - (ADL-052)

The final photo is of the assembly sitting in position against the back wall of the main building.

Exhibit #5 - (ADL-053)

I'm not sure about the scale of the addition in relation to the main building. The main building is 18' from slab to the top of plate of the second floor. This is reasonable for two floors of 9' +/- and floor joists and flooring of 12" +/-. The height of the addition, slab to the top plate, is 12'-9".

With walls that high, they appear to be a bit exaggerated and not in scale with the main building. I wish I had caught this before everything was glued together.

I'll have to look at it some more before I decide on using the addition or leave it off. And thoughts?

See y'all next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2020, 03:14:36 PM »

Greg,

I vote to attach it to the main building.  The height may not make "logical" sense, but the viewer does not know why it was constructed this way.  Did it originally house an over height (more than 8' tall machine)?  Was it a boiler house that had height added to make piping access easier?   Is part of the floor elevated? 

At one of the early Craftsman Structure shows I attended a Brian Nolan clinic on diorama composition.  One of the things I learned was that a rectangular two (or more) story building, while prototypic does not draw the viewer's eye into the scene well.  The use of single story additions brings the viewer's eye down from the tall roof to the ground and then to the details of the scene.  With that in mind, maybe you could add an elevated fuel oil tank by the end of the addition.  Add some barrels and crates and the viewer is now entranced with the overall scene.

Just my two cents and maybe not worth even that... ;D
Jerry

GPdemayo

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2020, 09:57:07 AM »
You make a good point Jerry.....when I chatted with Pegi about this, she agreed with what you wrote and said  that I am looking at from the logical point of view of a builder, not from the way a scene should be viewed as a composition for others to look at.

Basically, she said to lighten up and not be such a stiff.....it's just a model and the point of any hobby is to relax and have fun.   :o
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL