started building a ho water tank

Started by rustyfawcett, June 14, 2014, 09:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyfawcett

I am in need of a two water tanks so I decided to scratch build them. I found a article in MRR mag that will fit my needs. so here is the build still in process.. more pice to come over the next few days while I wait for some things to come in the mail. I always see where people are using AI washes. and in the mag its saying A and water based paint so why not give it a try.

started out with a shipping tube just about 2 1/4 wide. cut to 2 inches long.  I traced the circumference  of the tube on heavy chip board and then cut them out. Next I glued them to the tube  then trimmed the chip board up the a hobby knife.

rustyfawcett

then the fun part of cutting all the ho scale 2x6 . then I dipped in the wash let then sit for a min or two. pulled them out and left them to dry.

rustyfawcett

I drew a few lines on the tube with a square for some guide lines and then started gluing. I did not worry to much about if the boards was a little over the top but I wanted to keep the bottoms flush. this is after I got them all glued on.

rustyfawcett

for the bands I used wire from michaels craft store and used these crimps for bracelets.. still playing around with this until I get them how I want them. will post more as I go.

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

rustyfawcett

rustyfawcett

I have to space the band's and paint them but I could not sleep.

rustyfawcett

just need to make the roof. bands all glued up and a shot of dull coat.

Zephyrus52246

Those crimps look pretty good.  I'm surprised the pain and alcohol mixed so well.

Jeff

rustyfawcett

Thanks Jeff I need changed the color on the crimps.  I am not happy with it.

engineerkyle

Hi Rusty,

I'd say the wood staining looks excellent. Realistic weathering.

EK

postalkarl

rustyfawcett

its been slow progress with work the last week+ but I did manage to stay up late last night and get the shingles on. need to cap them and add the trap to the roof.the plan is, to get more done today while it rains.

S&S RR

Rusty

The roof looks great.

We have had rain here for five days straight - great model railroading weather!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

rustyfawcett

Part Two of the water tower. The base. Everything is cut and stained ready for tomorrow  night ...to be continued