C&O H-5 2-6-6-2 Articulated Painting

Started by ACL1504, April 21, 2020, 05:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Fortunately this model has a removable cab section. The cab is held with four screws, two in the rear and two in front of the cab support.

The cab can now be painted separately from the boiler and back head details.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The H-5 has very nice details on the back head and will paint and detail out very well.

The left cab side sun visor is missing so I'll need to make one and solder it in place.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Counting the screws, springs, side and main rods and their respective parts along with the brass, there are 98 parts in the photo below.

Only 11 parts in this next photo.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The last to be removed was the TCS WOW sound decoder from the tender.

When the sun, if ever, comes out once again, I'll soak the parts in Acetone to remove oil and grease.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

Tom,

As usual I'm following along.  I love how thorough you make the explanation of each step.  I'll never work on one of these engines, still I learn something from each of your threads.  Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
Jerry

Dennis Bourey

Tom, You got some good eye's there sir....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

tct855

ACL 1504,
              Nice model (great bones).  I'll be riveted to my seat on this build.  One note first.  I noticed you mentioned earlier you had a bugger of a time taking the lead set of drivers/u-joint a part.  I learned many years ago while disassembly with my first similar model that there's no need to dig and find all those hidden screws holding everything together.

I discovered (by accident really) with a stiff drink in hand, (while taking a stress relief break) one may have a tendency to drop said model from a workbench height of approximately 32" to any floor surface.  This by the laws of gravity will always solve any problem one may have with disassembly of many tiny parts, screws, hidden u-joints etc.

Poof and voila'. All's that's left is the simple task of weeks of finding lightening speed parts and no need to every worry about any loose solder joints, this process is a sure way to locate and separate any loose solder points in a split second.

Les we forget the months of aspirin eating fun challenges of rebuilding a less than new model with several extra dollars spent supporting your local hobby shop for hard to find parts.  Boy-oh-boy what fun this hobby can bring with just a little thoughtlessness and quick temper in building something one should have spent years learning first.

I see why you love this hobby so much my friend, #MeeToo! my friend Meetoo!  :o  Love the pictorial sir.  Keep up the great work.  KP-out...

Raymo

Quote from: Judge on April 21, 2020, 05:43:08 PM
This is one of my favorite locos.  The H-5 was of USRA design and had drivers a little larger than the more famous H-6, the last of which is in the B&O Museum in Baltimore.  This old hog could really pull those coal hoppers up and down the mountains.  The painted, finished model ought to be an outstanding addition to the A&S as another example of a Central Florida railroad using lease agreements to obtain needed steam power to lug heavy trains up the Ovalix.  Four miles an hour, five miles an hour, who cares!  Greg will have to keep his hands off of this one!
;D ;D ;D This made me chuckle..

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Can't wait to see this one finished.

Karl

RWL

A removable cab, how nice. Detailed cab interiors really place a great paint job into the category of an exceptional paint job. The light Apple Green that ALCO used will set the engine off nicely. Good step by step again Tom.

Bob

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on April 24, 2020, 06:14:04 PM

Tom,

As usual I'm following along.  I love how thorough you make the explanation of each step.  I'll never work on one of these engines, still I learn something from each of your threads.  Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

Jerry,

Thanks for following along. I try to explain as I go. I sometimes forget that it seems second nature to me but not so to others. I enjoy sharing and as I mentioned, it keeps me focused on the task and thread.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on April 24, 2020, 09:43:40 PM
Tom, You got some good eye's there sir....Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for checking in. My Opti-Visor with a #5 lens works wonders.  8)

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: tct855 on April 25, 2020, 02:32:27 AM
ACL 1504,
              Nice model (great bones).  I'll be riveted to my seat on this build.  One note first.  I noticed you mentioned earlier you had a bugger of a time taking the lead set of drivers/u-joint a part.  I learned many years ago while disassembly with my first similar model that there's no need to dig and find all those hidden screws holding everything together.

I discovered (by accident really) with a stiff drink in hand, (while taking a stress relief break) one may have a tendency to drop said model from a workbench height of approximately 32" to any floor surface.  This by the laws of gravity will always solve any problem one may have with disassembly of many tiny parts, screws, hidden u-joints etc.

Poof and voila'. All's that's left is the simple task of weeks of finding lightening speed parts and no need to every worry about any loose solder joints, this process is a sure way to locate and separate any loose solder points in a split second.

Les we forget the months of aspirin eating fun challenges of rebuilding a less than new model with several extra dollars spent supporting your local hobby shop for hard to find parts.  Boy-oh-boy what fun this hobby can bring with just a little thoughtlessness and quick temper in building something one should have spent years learning first.

I see why you love this hobby so much my friend, #MeeToo! my friend Meetoo!  :o  Love the pictorial sir.  Keep up the great work.  KP-out...

Thom,

The scary thing is I understood everything you said. And, I don't drink. I appreciate you following with drink in hand and for the MeToo moment.

As you say, T out!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Raymo on April 25, 2020, 07:24:50 AM
Quote from: Judge on April 21, 2020, 05:43:08 PM
This is one of my favorite locos.  The H-5 was of USRA design and had drivers a little larger than the more famous H-6, the last of which is in the B&O Museum in Baltimore.  This old hog could really pull those coal hoppers up and down the mountains.  The painted, finished model ought to be an outstanding addition to the A&S as another example of a Central Florida railroad using lease agreements to obtain needed steam power to lug heavy trains up the Ovalix.  Four miles an hour, five miles an hour, who cares!  Greg will have to keep his hands off of this one!
;D ;D ;D This made me chuckle..

Yepper, I agree.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on April 25, 2020, 11:24:23 AM
Hey Tom:

Can't wait to see this one finished.

Karl
\

Karl,

Thanks, I can't wait either. Then I can move on to the next brass painting.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com