Monster Modelworks 3 Story Starter Kit

Started by Janbouli, April 28, 2020, 05:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

Happy I ordered these just before they closed down along with some other kits and some walls for scratchbuilding.

The Manual , the kit was not in a box but in a plastic bag.
The parts , all neatly sealed in the plastic bag.

Started by adding the corners to the walls .

Connecting walls , using the magnetic jig to get things perfectly square.

Made a small mistake on the corners , the corners of the back wall should be even with the side wall, fixed that by gluing a piece of corner on top, as you can see in the next photo.

Connected all the walls.

Next up roof supports.

Your own text on the sign , it reads Jan & Martha's Toys  , my parents names.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

I'll be following.  I made 2 of their kits before they closed. You should enjoy it.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

NEMMRRC

Nice.
Makes one wonder is someone else will ever offer the same kind of kit.
Jaime

S&S RR

Jan

Jimmy did a great job with these kits - I too bought a bunch of his stuff before he decided to pursue other interests.  He set the bar very high for anyone producing laser cut brick and stone. I hoped that someone would buy his business and continue producing this high quality product.  So far - no good news.

I will be following along on your build.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ReadingBob

Following along Jan.  Looks interesting.   ;)  I don't have any experience with these.  Wish I had bought a few while they were still around.  Like I need more kits in the stash.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Hey Janbouli:

I will be following along. Looks like you are off to a good start.
Karl

Janbouli

Thanks for all the encouragement guys , his website is offline so I think there is little chance someone will pick up . As for n-scale , the brick walls are excellent but imho Rich's are better . Don't know about H0 , but the N-scale brick you can tell it's been cut diagonally , don't think it will be that noticeable after I'm done , but it was when before priming and still after priming. I'll show some photo's later.

ACL1504

Jan,

I'll be along for this one as well. I'm curious as to how you will color the brick.

Nice start.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dave K.

Jimmy just resurfaced yesterday, joining us on the F&SM Facebook page. He's considering beginning to offer some of his products again, but on a much more limited, just-for-fun basis.

RWL

Mr. Simmon's was very innovative in his approach to craftsman structures, I hope to see him offering the structures again. In the meantime, the same techniques Jimmy used in burning wood are being offered by Imagine That Laser Art out of Canada. They are also very innovative in the hobby, there are others I realize, but ITLA comes to mind first. In respect to Jimmy, I think he made everyone aware of the capabilities of the laser cutter at an early stage.

Stay safe folks
Bob

GPdemayo

Nice building Jan.....I'll be looking in..... :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tom.boyd.125

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Janbouli

Thanks Greg and Tommy , glad to have you along.

As for ITLA , yes nice products , but only 2 structures in N-scale.

Janbouli

Bracing and inner sides of wall above roof done , normally I do bracing and painting before I install the walls , but I held to the manual this time.

After a coat of primer gray from badger I did the walls with artists markers , I tried a small piece of the side wall first and liked what I saw. I used 4 different color's of markers , not sure if I will weather the walls a bit to blend it more or leave it this way.

I then painted the front lower wall , the shop , with Vallejo Air ( yes you can brush it on too ) Light Blue. I had already installed the frames for the doors and window , but that didn't look right so I took them out again, I'll do the doors and windows another way later.

Painted the window lintels Polly Scale Aged Concrete.

Installed the thick acrylic window included in the kit , and a back wall of the shop.

Several shop interiors that I collected from the internet and printed on photopaper.

The doors and window are peel and stick , I stuck them to the acrylic glazing and then painted the acrylic glazing around the doors and windows the same color , that created a much better looking frame then the one provided in the kit. Paint color of the doors and windows Vallejo Air Pale Blue .

PRR Modeler

Looks great Jan. Does the door opening look oversized? They seemed to be on the kits I built.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision