FOS Hendrix Style Foundary

Started by PRR Modeler, May 13, 2020, 03:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

I started out with the hydrocal walls by spraying them light gray. Afterwards I used wet weathering powders to randomly paint stones then did a heavy (intentional) wash of Tamiya German Gray (grimy black). I want this kit to look very dirty but not falling apart.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

PRR Modeler

And the side walls.
Curt Webb

GPdemayo

Great looking stone building.....I'll be looking in Curt.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

I'll be watching, Curt.

This kit looks like it would sit nicely with South River Modelworks Thonedike mills.

Cheers, Mark.

richbeau

Looks cool!

When you say, "FOS Hendrix Style Foundry"... Have you got an Ed Fulasz "Old Stone Warehouse"?

--Rich

PRR Modeler

Greg, Mark and Rich thank you.

Rich- Actually you are correct. The instructions talk about him. The kit has wooden add on walls and rooms along with a bunch of stuff on the roof.
Curt Webb

ReadingBob

Great start Curt.  I really like the looks of this kit.  It'll be fun to follow along with your build.  The hydrocal cast walls are a nice break from wood every now and then.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Zephyrus52246

Nice looking walls.  Did you seal them after using the powders and before the wash?

Jeff

vinceg

Yep..mighty fine-looking walls, Curt. To me, there's just something special about masonry walls cast in hydrocal.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

The walls look just beautiful.

Karl

deemery

I got this kit but haven't decided where it'll go.  So I'm watching this intently.  Your stone looks good so far!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jerry

Beautiful coloring on the stone!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

PRR Modeler

Thank you Bob, Jeff, Vince, Karl, Dave, and Jerry for your kind words.

Jeff- I did not seal the colors because they were very bright compared to the gray base coat. A lot of the color washed out but I was afraid of it looking cartoony.

I did spend several hours on the build today but no pictures so I'll do a update in the next couple of days.
Curt Webb

Opa George

Curt, the color on those walls look super in close ups.  I'll be interested in how well those interlocking joints fit together. That is a lot of engineering to get around those corner joints, but looks like it will be worth the trouble.

--Opa George

PRR Modeler

Thank you George.

Over the last couple of days I put in the windows and "glass" in the hydrocal walls. I took the plunge and put the walls together busting off 2 of the "fingers". They were easily glued in place after the fact. The prep trimming wasn't bad but it's a really tight fit. I shingled the roof and built the upper structure (on roof), shingled it and weathered the roof. The roof structure isn't centered because of a billboard that goes on the roof.

I don't know if I mentioned before I found a stone ramp missing from the kit and I notified Doug about it via Email. Today I discovered a roof card missing but I made my own.
Curt Webb