Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

Thanks Guys. I'm doing more today and will likely post a photo if worthwhile.

Jan, it is steep but George Sellios said it was makable  ;) . We like drama here!

John

cuse

Yesterday and this morning I worked up a wharf extension to help hide/repair an awkward level change area. I used the wharf parts from my Bar Mills F&SM tribute "Wharf at Doverton" kit. I recently decided I would be re-purposing the large structure and locating it on a mountainside, so the wharf materials were available. I gooped all around and somewhat underneath before I planted it in place. Honestly, I forgot to dry brush and just smacked it with some chalks. The stain was already varied, so I think it's good for now. Lots of detail for someday but mostly, my aim was to get to the hard to reach stuff before embarking on my planned mountain construction. To that end, I also ballasted the remaining trackage into the tunnel mouths. In an unusual (for me) bit of foresight, I resisted planting a building that would definitely be in harm's way.

Good infrastructure day. I'm getting closer to the day when I'll just be detailing, adding vehicles and cool narrow gauge rolling stock, and revising weak spots. I still have 3 significant kits to build and one in Vilius' more than capable hands. I'm also looking forward to the day that I patch and paint the fascia to give it all that "framed" look. I anticipate some rock faces landing on (or over?) the fascia, so I've held off.

John

ACL1504

John,

Looking very professional my friend. It all looks so natural, well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, John!

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

tom.boyd.125

John,
Catching up on your amazing layout. Five stars sir !!!
Would like to hear more info about that Bragdon clinic tip mentioned.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jerry

Beautiful!  Wonderful scene.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

cuse

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support.

I hope to get some time in today but my damn phone keeps ringing...it IS still a workday. I should be glad it's ringing honestly.

Next step is to begin the Bragdon process...I'll try to configure the fiberglass screen material that will form the basic shell. Normally, you can just make a big piece and cut it to fit onsite...but this build requires a much longer and less high strip, so I may try to be efficient in it's design. Remains to be seen...at the very least, I hope to get the ballasted tracks cleaned and the trains running again.

Tommy, any specific questions about Bragdon process?...I'll try. Like I said, not a lot of great info online from them. A solid YouTube video of his clinic would put them over the top, IMO.
John

cuse

Got a bit more infrastructure done. I went a little nuts and tried to finish an extensive rock walled area with what I had on hand...Bragdon leftovers, soft foam scenic express scraps, stiff Foam castings also from Scenic Express, and some scraps that I fit in like a puzzle. Thankfully, I tapped out before I really ruined it and ordered another helping of Bragdon supplies to finish off the last of the rock faces. Additional scenicking followed...

cuse

A couple more pics...I ordered more stuff from Bragdon and they shipped next day-so I should be rocking again next weekend.

engine909

Many great scenes John. Beautiful modeling.
ed

cuse

thanks very much Ed! Just opened the mail and got my Bragdon supplies. Ready to go again!

John

NKP768

Great looking layout John.
Doug

cuse

thanks Doug. I appreciate the support.

John