PRR Bellevue Sub Build

Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Evening All,

Thank you to Doug, Tom, and BandOGuy for following along and your comments.

This is my third attempt today to be able to post on this thread :(. I sent a message to the person that gets the problem messages.

Today I finished the substation. I am really glad it's complete. It was a tough build for me with how it went together. Some changes that I had to make on the kit since the last post:

1. Had to ream out the vertical post holes.
2. Had to change the gate since the hinges did not work.
3. Had to use some Tichy Phosphor 0.20 wire for 2 horizontal braces. Not enough wire provided.

I added Tichy Phosphor 0.15 wire to simulate transmission lines. At some point I plan on connecting the 3 upper lines to the power house for added realism.

I noticed in one photo that I need to trim the "chain link" on one side. I originally sprayed the fabric with a metallic paint but found it too sparkly so I applied grey weathering powder to it to dull it a bit.

I have kind of a strange situation. For 1 of my mines I was planning on using the Walthers New River Mine (was on my last layout). My wife was looking online and said that she really likes the B.T.S Cabin Creek Tipple and I should build it. I looked at the dimensions and I can make it work in the space I have, I'll be thinking about it this weekend. I knew I was going to change it at some point so I probably will, but I wasn't expecting another 2 weeks building a structure.

I just realized why I couldn't post. I never resized the photos. :-X :-X :-X. I'll resize them then post them here.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

PRR Modeler

Here are the resized photos. ::)
Curt Webb

nycjeff

Hey Curt, great job on the sub station, especially the chain link fencing. I've tried chain link a couple of times on my layout and it is not an easy thing to make look realistic. Good job.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ACL1504

Curt,

Very nice power/sub station, well done. I'll need to find a place for one on the A&S RR.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Very nice job on the sub station.

Karl.

GPdemayo

Well done Curt.....don't forget to ground yourself before you grab any of those power lines.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Quote from: GPdemayo on February 06, 2021, 08:32:46 AM
Well done Curt.....don't forget to ground yourself before you grab any of those power lines.  ;)

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jerry

What a great job on that sub station.  Perfect fencing also.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

PRR Modeler

Evening All.

Thank you Jeff, Tom, Karl, Greg, Jerry, and Dave for following along and your comments.

Today was locomotive wheel cleaning day. Afterwards I ran my BF16 A-A coal drag. The locos are standard Bachmann that are hard wired together and with a draw bar. The sound decoder is a QSI.
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

Love those Baldwin Sharks. Layout looking excellent.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Nice looking coal drag (says the guy formerly from the anthracite coal region in PA).   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Bernd

Ditto on those Sharks.

I've got a pair that might see D&H decals someday.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

the locos look just beautiful. I will assume you added the antennas yourself. Back in the day when I custom painted locos and freight and passenger cars I used to do all that stuff. I was great fun.  Also just love the bridge with all its scenery. Kep up the great work.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Tom, Bob, Bernd,  and Karl. Thank you for following along and you're kind words.

Karl- Yes I did the train phones using Cal Scale supports and Tichy Phosphor wire.

Bernd- I know a guy at the club (when I was a member) that had D&H Sharks. They looked sharp.

I started with the signal install yesterday getting everything unwrapped and tested. Unfortunately 1 target head on the bridge only shows the caution signal (no clear or stop). I'm going to have to live with it because trying to fix it will no doubt destroy it.

Today I mounted the (2 locations) power supplies, power regulator, and logic boards. I also verified the power supplies and regulators are working.

I also received in the mail the Cabin Creek Mine from B.T.S which I will have a separate thread in kit building. I'm actually happy my wife pushed me into getting it. I also received 4 HO scale skunks. Man are they small! I'll probably get started on the kit Sunday or Monday. I will be absent Feb 20-26 while my brothers are in town (delayed because of weather)
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

I can no longer keep up with you on layout work. Great job and the new coal tipple is a nice addition to the Bellevue Sub.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com