PRR Bellevue Sub Build

Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom.boyd.125

Curt,
Lots of progress since my last visit to this thread 4 months ago.
Keep the fire going and thanks for sharing the new updates of your railroad.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Jerry and Tom Boyd for following along and commenting on the thread.

Since my last post I have finished laying track in the yard (peninsula). In a nutshell the left side is wired into the regular main buss and has been tested. The right side has the feeders attached to the rails but not to the reverse loop buss yet.

Over the last several days I have been running diesel powered trains in both directions (main line trackage) without issue for more than 2 hours. Today I started running a train with the 2-8-8-2. It made 6 complete laps then started derailing on the right hand side incline loop around. I messed with it for awhile, thought I had fixed it but no. I noticed late today that there appears a dip where the derailments keep happening. You can only see it in one viewing spot. The front 2 wheel guide wheels are what's derailing. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

The milestone today is the track laying is now complete (just need to fix what's already down. :'( The building is a scratch built freight house that's a couple of years old, but I need to rebuild the platform it sits on.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Nice work Curt.   :)

I'm jealous.  I haven't seen a model train running in almost a year!   :(
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Wow!!!! looks just great. Can't wait to see more scenery and buildings.

Karl

ACL1504

Curt,

Congrats on the finished track laying. The freight house looks great.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Bob, Karl, and Tom (ACL) for following along, your kind words and encouragement.

Since the last post I have hooked up the reverse loop and tested with the F3 and large steamer without issue. I was pleasantly surprised how easily the large steamer negotiated the 18" radius loop around section.

Today I hooked up the programing track and changed the F3 address to 95 then back to 9503. I can't take credit for the wiring of it. Back probably 4-5 years ago Jon Shubert wired everything together for me at his house and I installed it on the old layout. I was careful removing it so it could be used again. It is connected to a PTB-100. Afterwards I painted the remaining rails on the peninsula.

At this point the only electrical work to be done is building lighting and signals (not looking forward to it). Trackwork is complete except ballasting and roads. Today is 9.5 months since I started the benchwork.

Tomorrow I'm starting to build everything for the company town that will be in the back right corner. It will also give me a break from layout work. None of the kits are big enough to enter the build contest so I'll add the photos here as usual. I have 6 Bar Mills company houses and general store, a AMB (Laserkit) small gas station and church, and from Wild West Models 8 outhouses in 3 styles. I also have a Walthers Substation to build. As you can tell I'll be busy for awhile.

Sorry for the poor photos. If you blow up the track photo there is a green LED that indicates normal power to track. It's off while programing until CV's are changing then it flashes.

Curt Webb

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really good, Curt.

It will be a nice change to get back to some structure building.

If you wanted to I'm sure any of those builds would be big enough to enter the build challenge.  I've seen a scene on a peanut butter lid take out best in show!  Deservedly, I might add.  It was a scratch-built cabbage tree and some flaxes on a hillock.  The scenery was quite simple exquisite. 

I even managed a bronze award for a scene on the base of a film canister.  There is a chap in NZ that does brass etchings of native birds (Marks model works) and so a special competition with trophy was set up for a scene incorporating one of his birds, on a film canister base.  The brass etchings are filled with solder and then the bodies and wings caved with an engraving tool.  Two of the entries achieved a gold award.  At the awards dinner a high quality photograph of the winning entry was blown up and displayed on a projection screen.  Even at that magnification the detail was extortionary.  I was with Barry (the winner) when he was working with the engraving tool and he spent a full 10 hours on this alone.  The birds are S-scale, BTW.

Enjoying watching your progress.

Cheers, Mark.

MAP

Mark

GPdemayo

Well done with the completion of the track work Curt.....time for some SBG test runs.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

madharry

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 11, 2021, 08:52:26 AM
Well done with the completion of the track work Curt.....time for some SBG test runs.  8)
I echo the sentiment. But beware of Greg running Greg speed on the layout! ;)
Mike

PRR Modeler

Good Afternoon All,

Thank you Greg, Mark, and Mike for following along, kind words, and insight. It is greatly appreciated.

Since the last post I have finished the Blair Line Company Store and weathered it. The light makes the roof brighter than it actually is. I substituted corrugated roofing for the tar paper that came with the kit.

I made my first video of the new layout. I should of ran it a little slower and I don't know why it's not a sharper image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W8LUYexxxs

Next up to build is the AMB rural church.
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

The layout is looking very nice my friend. Love the company store, weathering on the roof looks great.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: madharry on January 11, 2021, 11:27:38 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on January 11, 2021, 08:52:26 AM
I echo the sentiment. But beware of Greg running Greg speed on the layout! ;)
Mike

Hey Mike.....I'll try to be good when we get over to Curt's..... ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Tom (ACL) and Greg for following and your kind words.

Greg- Running speed on my layout will be regulated, Not like what Tom let's you get away with. ;D

Today I finished the Laser kit Xpress Church kit (beginners). I got it because I wanted a small church for the company town. Let's just say it's not my finest build. For some reason I just couldn't square the walls which of course threw off the floor and roof. I put shake shingles on the roof and put in stained glass windows (I got the idea from Tom). This is definitely a "2 foot" model.

I also started on the very small same style gas station kit. Hopefully this one will go better.
Curt Webb

GPdemayo

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 19, 2021, 04:37:45 PM

Greg- Running speed on my layout will be regulated, Not like what Tom let's you get away with. ;D

what ?..... ???
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL