Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

It will look just fine once installed with scenery around it.

Karl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Karl and Greg for following and your kind words.

Today I finished the gas station and started on the first of six company houses.
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

Nice little gas station.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Tom thank you for the kind words.

Today I finished up the first of the company houses ( I have too much black on the back wall) but spent about 4 hours correcting a section of track that I didn't like the geometry of. Of course after was all said and done it involved moving 2 turnouts and 3 tracks...isn't that always the way? The other thing I have to watch for when wiring things back up is that everything is on the boundary of the reverse loop.
Curt Webb

jerryrbeach

Curt,

I feel your pain.  I find getting track work finessed to flow can be one of the most frustrating part of the hobby.  On the plus side, I built one of those gas stations a few years ago and found it to be really cool.  Hope you enjoyed building yours as much as I did mine.  How about putting a burn barrel or outdoor fire pit next to that dark wall on your company house?  Problem solved, IMO!
Jerry

nycjeff

Hello Curt, you have been very busy, bet you're glad the trackwork is over. Now you can get going on the fun stuff. By the time you get all six company houses built you will be able to do one in your sleep. Looking forward to buildings and scenery with your trackwork.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on nicely, Curt.

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Curt,

Well done, you seem to be moving at my old speed on the layout/structure work.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Jerry B., Jeff, Mark, and Tom for following along and kind words.

Jerry- That is a great suggestion and I'll be doing that.

Jeff- You have that right about being finished with track work...fingers crossed ;)

I've finished 3 of the houses (6 total). The routine I have is the day before paint the parts then the next day put it together, weather it then paint the next kit for the following day and so on.

I've discovered that I need to cut my own front porch roof supports from strip wood because the ones provided in the kit are so thin and flimsy that I'm guaranteed to break 2 of the 4 each time.

I also figured out to put the tar paper on the main roof before attaching the legs which is reversed in the directions and put the tar paper on the porch roof before attaching the roof to the house. 

The third thing is the stair stringers are very flimsy also and break very easily putting them in the provided jig. Each house has 2 sets and I have 4 completed with 2 thrown away because of broken stringers. I'll build them when my NESL order comes in.
Curt Webb

Jerry

Nice job on those houses.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Judge

Curt - Those "company houses" look like "cracker houses" to me.  Did they have such things that far "up nawth?"  They would fit right in on the Atlantic & Southern. 

deemery

Company houses are very common in mining and mill towns throughout the Northeast. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

madharry

Nice job on the company houses Curt.
Mike