PRR Bellevue Sub Build

Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Tom- Thank you for your kind words from so long ago! :)

I decided not to post construction pictures of the BTS Cabin Creek Mine since the photos are in their own kit building thread. Yesterday I gave the mine tracks a black craft paint wash and a cleaning.

Today I cleaned the track again and test ran my H10-44 (assigned shifter) over the track without issue so I decided to ballast the track. It's drying now so I'll do touch up later along with track cleaning and testing again. The blank spots are where the mine footers will rest. At final install I'll cover them up.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Track work and scenery look just great.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Curt.

It will be nice to se the mine planted and blended into the scene.

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Well it's been around 6 weeks but I actually did some work on the layout today. Family events and requirements have been taking up my time.

Thank you Karl and Mark for your comments so long ago.

Today I spent about 90 minutes painting the ballasted track between the rails with Tamiya XF-63 German Grey which to my eye looks like a old grimy surface.
Curt Webb

GPdemayo

Looks good Curt.....keep those photos coming.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Good Morning All,

Greg- Thanks for following along.

Yesterday I spent several hours working on the sub-structure for the coal mine parking lot which will be elevated. Beyond this I'm having a hard time visualizing the landscaping around the mine and outer buildings. I don't just want all black like I did on the previous layout. Oh well I guess I have more time to think about it.
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

Nicely done on the ballast around the mine tracks. I would suggest leveling the ballast some though.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Looks just great so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Lynnb

Ballasting looks good, I'd like to do some ballast but just not 100% confident with my track work yet.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you for following along and your comments Tom, Karl, and Lynn.

I continued work on the parking lot and access road. First I decided to take the easy way out with asphalt instead of concrete. Today I painted the framework with WS Asphalt color. After that I cut "for sale" styrene signs to fit the roadway and parking lot (not glued down) and finally the 3 wooden road crossings (Blair Line) that I previously put a coat oh Hunterline Creosote were dry brushed with Tamiya XF-63 German Grey like the rest of the track.

I plan on giving the styrene pieces 2 coats of rattle can flat black then brush on a coat or two of WS Asphalt.

Not very exciting but at least it's progress.
Curt Webb

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

You are quite welcome. Parking lot and street look great so far. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Karl- Thank you for your comments and following along.

I noticed in my last post that the styrene road bows inward in-between the tracks so I fixed that. Today I spent several hours trying to get the lighting to work.

Let me backtrack. Reading Bob was kind enough to make 3 light boards for the mine which I put in and soldered together. After testing they worked.

After that I mounted 2 exterior lights and cracked a wall in 2 places on the third one. I attached the goose necks to the walls, then attached them to the boards and cut the gaps in the tape. Didn't work. Swapped leads and still didn't work. I pulled the lights off the mine and tested them and they worked.

Of course at this point the interior lights weren't working because I had cut gaps in the tape. I went ahead and soldered jumpers and the interior lights work again.

Now I have to decide what the heck I'm going to do about the lighting. I figure that I have 3 options:

1. Only have interior lighting (dummy exterior lights)
2. Pull the interior lights out and wire everything individually.
3. Keep the interior lighting and try wiring the exterior lighting separately.

I have a week to decide. All in all a pretty sucky MRR day.
Curt Webb

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Today I finally figured out how to make the 4 exterior lights work with the light boards so I only needed 1 hole through the build to hook up to the lighting buss.

Thanks again to Reading Bob for making the light boards for me.

Curt Webb

ReadingBob

You're welcome Kurt!  Glad you got things working.  Looks like there's more than enough light there.   8)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL