FOS Harbor Master Office build.

Started by ACL1504, July 21, 2020, 06:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WigWag Workshop

The scene is going to be amazing! I really like the details, and the overall look going on.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ACL1504

Quote from: Jim Donovan on August 29, 2020, 03:50:17 PM
This scene is getting better and better and it started out great! I love the bumpers and the idea of chain railings, reminds me of places I would pull into on the St Johns for gas. With all the new products out for creating water have you decided on one or going with what has worked in the past?

Jim D

Jim,

Thank you, very much appreciated. I remember river side structures like these when my dad and I used to boat and camp on the St. Johns River in our wood cabin cruiser back in the late 50's. There was one very much like this one at Alexander Springs. The gas pump was on a separate dock than the store and the owners lived upstairs.

I'm going to use what I used in the Suwannee River area for the water.

https://www.unrealdetails.com/

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on August 29, 2020, 06:58:31 PM
Everything looks great Tom. Love all the details.

Thanks Curt, appreciate the compliment.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on August 30, 2020, 07:35:26 AM
The scene is going to be amazing! I really like the details, and the overall look going on.

-Steven

Steven,

Thank you for the kind words and for stopping by. As John S. (S&S RR) says, it's all in/about the details.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

sdrees

This is some wonderful modeling Tom as you usually do, but I hope thos LP don't fall on their asses when they walk down the ramp.
Steve Drees
SP RR

ACL1504

Quote from: sdrees on August 30, 2020, 02:09:55 PM
This is some wonderful modeling Tom as you usually do, but I hope those LP don't fall on their asses when they walk down the ramp.

Steve,

Thank you for the very generous compliment on the build, very much appreciate the support.

All the LP will be fine. I added some 1X2s to each of the 2Xs on the ramp. Photos to follow in a few minutes.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Today i added the roof decking on the small structure. I cut a piece of thin cardboard to fit the roof line, added some exterior rafters and then painted them to match the walls.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I had some left over scrap sheets of Northeastern shingles and decided or use these on the roof.

I cut them to size and glued them on the roof panels.

Tomorrow I'll add some ridge cap shingles. The singles will then be weathered.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I painted the two cleats with Model Masters Jet Exhaust and glued them in place. I made two small ladders from scale 2X2s and 2X4s then glued them in place as shown.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then glued a scale 1X2 to the center of each 2X10 on the ramp. This will hopefully keep the LP from slipping and falling on their rears.

I then added the outside ramp handle chain. I'll have to wait to install the other chain until I get the roof on the larger building.

More tomorrow. Now it's time for a Diet Pepsi and finish for today.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I forgot to add the last photo of today.

I glued the two docks together. Here is how it will look as it will be on the river's edge.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking terrific, Tom!

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

I like the anti-trip boards and chain hand rail. The chain is a really nice touch.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

Tom wish I could move as fast as you do.

Great progress and some nice detail work on the ramp & chain.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL