Baltimore Amoco Station - Finished Pics

Started by restocarp, July 23, 2020, 05:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

restocarp

I recently completed this diorama of an Amoco Station in Baltimore. The structure is scratchbuilt using cardboard for the station itself and modified Magnuson brick castings for the rowhouses. The prototype that inspired this model still stands in West Baltimore and is pictured at the end. That photo is from https://www.kilduffs.com/GAS.html

Matt

Judge

Matt - WOW!  What else can I say?  You captured the age, deterioration, and hopelessness of the row house as well as the junkiness that goes with old service stations.  The backside of the row house is particularly well done.  Cardboard?  Really?  The scene would fit nicely into the Summit level of the Atlantic & Southern Railroad near the red light district.  Of course, we would have to add a few palm trees and maybe add a vegetable/citrus market next door.  So let us know when you will be shipping the whole thing to Tahope. 

ReadingBob

Terrific!  I think the Judge summed it up best but I have to add that I really love the 'feel' that you captured of the area.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

carl b

Carl

Zephyrus52246

WigWag Workshop

Mind Blown! Nicely detailed, I chucked at the guy in the white shirt petting the cat.  Thank you for sharing, I added them to my reference pictures.

Question: What did you use for the wires on the hanging Amoco sign coming from the building?

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

restocarp

Steven,

My go to wire for modeling is green floral wire. It is cheap, the size is nice and it takes paint better than most wires(although still not great). If the paint does become an issue here and there, the dark green color of the wire does not shine like other wires and tends to blend in with the weathering. The sign is very vulnerable and it got whacked a couple of times during the build. The floral wire had to be straightened coming off of the spool and had to be straightened again after some of the whacks. Ultimately, brass rod would have been a better solution to keep it straight, but the wire worked out.

Also: the large support on the sign is baling wire or rebar wire, available at your local big box hardware store.

Thanks, for your compliments,
Matt

restocarp

Quote from: Judge on July 23, 2020, 05:42:37 AM
So let us know when you will be shipping the whole thing to Tahope.

;D

I think this one will be staying here in Charm City for the time being.

Thanks for the compliments,
Matt

BandOGuy

After further evaluation, the comment posted on another site about scrubbed steps every week seems to have passed by this block. Hope it returns.
Spectacular efforts recreating a small slice of a once great city. Guess I'd best put the coffee down and go get started on my own projects.
Stay healthy everyone.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

restocarp

A. Aubrey Bodine photo

Yes, the famous Baltimore marble stoops are due for a good scrubbing.

Matt

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Blazeman

Quote from: restocarp on July 23, 2020, 07:48:11 AM

A. Aubrey Bodine photo

Yes, the famous Baltimore marble stoops are due for a good scrubbing.

Matt

Saturday morning ritual in those times.  Doubt it happens now.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln