Sierra West Deer Creek Mine

Started by postalkarl, July 29, 2020, 03:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Guys:

Here's my next project. The Sierra West Deer Creek Mine.

Karl

deemery

You'll have fun with this one!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey Dave:

Sounds kie you may have built this one???

Karl

PRR Modeler

I'll be following along closely. I'm about 3/4 ready to buy this kit to replace the Walthers New River mine that will be a second mine on my layout. At the time it was a toss up between this and the B.T.S mine that I went with.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Great kit Karl, can't wait to see what you do with the scene.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

No, I haven't built any SW kits.  I've been tempted by a couple.  But watching other build threads (and seeing the kits at the NNNGC a couple years ago), I'm looking forward to see your process and results.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jerry

It would be nice to see someone do the kit other than from pg 1 to the end.

I would leave that up to your imagination Karl.

No doubt you would be the one to do it justice!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

I will be following along Karl.  I have this kit on the shelf and on my build list.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Opa George

I'm following along, too. I don't plan on building this one--no mining happening on my pike--but I like watching you work, Karl.
--Opa George

WigWag Workshop

I'm on board for this build, looking forward to seeing how you "weather" it. I have a few Sierra West kits on my list, after I get a few more builds under my belt.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

sdrees

I will also be following you on this one Karl, I have this one on my shelf to build yet.
Steve Drees
SP RR

postalkarl

Hey Curt, Greg, Dave, Jerry, John S., George, Steven And Steve:

Glad to have everyone along for the ride. We shall see how it goes.

Karl

postalkarl

Ok Guys:

I started this kit a couple of days ago. So far I have Supports. The small short pieces are the support spacers. Holes are drilled for truss rods. Coloring is as follows. 1/8 X1/8 wood stained with A&I. The two colors of chalk used to color the pieces are Raw Umber & Burnt Umber Chalk. You wash the color into the wood with rubbing alcohol and A soft brush. On to assembly. Here's A photo of the parts. The ore bin casting is also painted.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Thanks much appreciated.

Karl