Riverbend Chapel by FOS

Started by ACL1504, September 06, 2020, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 28, 2020, 08:31:03 PM
Great job on the lighting.  The windows are superb.

Curt,

Thank you my friend, much appreciate the feedback.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on October 28, 2020, 09:30:25 PM
Tom

The stained glass windows look great. Real nice build. It's going to look great on your layout, my friend.

John,

Thank you also. I'm getting anxious to finish but I'm remaining patient as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: sdrees on October 28, 2020, 10:20:10 PM
Those parisheners on the other side of the tracks are going to have a very nice house of worship Tom

Steve,

These Southern Baptists are thumping their bibles as I type. Thank you for stopping and posting your comments.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on October 29, 2020, 06:46:24 AM
Looks super Tom!  Great job on the lighting.  I was wondering how it was going to look with those stained glass windows and it certainly does not disappoint.   ;)

Bob,

Thank you. the lighting came out better than I expected. I did  try all different LED. Slim's spot and floor lights didn't light the interior as I wanted. These, the Miniatronics, gave me the "ambient lighting effect" I wanted. This LED gives off light very evenly and makes the church look as if all the lights are on.

Doug did a very nice job of capturing the stained glass. I bet the church he photographed for this kit is wonderful.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 29, 2020, 07:37:23 AM
Quote from: ReadingBob on October 29, 2020, 06:46:24 AM
Looks super Tom!  Great job on the lighting.  I was wondering how it was going to look with those stained glass windows and it certainly does not disappoint.   ;)

What Bob said!  I have to say I have been chuckling ever since I read your mention of "light leaks".  Probably my warped sense of humor but I have to wonder about "heavy leaks"... ;D

Jerry,

Very good, I like your sense of humor. Let me say that I really didn't want any "heavy light leaks"!  8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Oldguy on October 29, 2020, 10:24:24 AM
That looks superb.

Bob,

Thank you, it is turning out to be just want I wanted it to appear like. An old southern style church.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: PaulS on October 29, 2020, 10:34:58 AM
Tom,

Your build of the chapel is coming along beautifully !!
And thank you for the pictures and the in depth explanation of how you did the lighting with the current limiters, much appreciated.   This along with a lengthy explanation from Bob (ReadingBob) on his recently completed service station for the A&WM and additional emails to me have really helped in demystifying the whole LED lighting process.

Thanks again and keep up the great work all around on the A&S RR !!
Stay safe and be well,
--Paul

Paul,

Thank you very much kind sir. Slim made using LEDs for lighting very simple. Bob is also very good at his explanations in his builds.

You are very welcome and I know Bob joins me in saying we are always happy to share our information and knowledge.

Again, thank you.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on October 29, 2020, 11:40:34 AM
Tom great lighting!

Jerry

Jerry,

I appreciate the compliment on the lighting, thank you.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: BandOGuy on October 29, 2020, 03:05:54 PM
Most impressive build Tom, but I have one major concern others may be too shy to share.
Given the A&S's success with kits and lighting, those non- shrinkwrapped wires both me. I hope this structure when mounted on the layout will be no where near the ill fated Middletown station. There are recorded instances of lightning having struck in the same place twice despite the old saw to the contrary.
Just sayin'.

Chip,

Thank you for the generous compliment. Can you believe it has been 10+ years since Slim's defective LEDs got me into trouble?

I hope lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice as I'm not sure I'd survive one again. I was on the golf course in 1969, in a rain shelter with a lightning rod, and got hit in the same spot where Forrest Gump took the bullet. I still have the scar but I'm not showing it here.  :-X

But alas, have no fear for the Middletown Station is still here. And, the lights, err, the new LEDs still work.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Okay, lots to share this evening as I was busy with the church build.

I made a visit to my HO scale lumber yard and found some very thin siding material. I'm using this as the floor for a front porch on the church.

I cut a piece 7 scale feet long and 7.5 scale feet wide.

I wanted it flush with the church doors so I glued a thin piece of card stock to the bottom. I stained it with Hunterline Light Gray A&I and placed it on a napkin under a weight until dry. The weight kept it from warping as the A&I dried.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

While the floor was drying, I cut a piece of card stock and test fit it over the doors. This is the shape of the porch roof.

As you can see, the pitch is quite different from the pitch of the main church roof.

Going to grab a Diet Pepsi, back in a minute.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then used the cardboard as a pattern and cut out a section from the original church wall.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After cutting out the wood gable, I realized I let the cardboard slip so I cut two new pieces. I made these just a little wider.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I removed the porch floor from under the weight and made a second test fit to the front doors. I then flush glued 2X4s to each side of the flooring section. I didn't glued a 2X4 to the rear.

I then stained it (not shown) as I did the walls and set it aside to dry.

Fast forwarding here to show I made two porch railing and roof supports. I used 4X4s for the posts and 2X4s for the railing.

I glued them to the church front wall on each side of the door. I used a metal square to make sure they were installed correctly and level.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Looks good enough for me.

I then added the front gable and made sure it was level and vertically aligned.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com