Riverbend Chapel by FOS

Started by ACL1504, September 06, 2020, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Here are some photos of where the build is at this stage. I still need to use my white stain and touch up the ends of the exposed boards.

Roofing and foundation is next on the build.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Tom, My house isn't even that level!!! lol   Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

This is still the Fosscale River Bend church but you can see how I drastically changed the look. This gives me a very unique looking southern back woods church.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on October 29, 2020, 06:28:04 PM
Tom, My house isn't even that level!!! lol   Dennis

Dennis,

Mine probably isn't either.  :P It was built in 1949.

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Your still doing a beautiful job.....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Hello Tom, I like your front entry and can't wait to see what the roof will look like. Will it be more of the weathered copper look ?   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ACL1504

Quote from: nycjeff on October 31, 2020, 12:05:38 AM
Hello Tom, I like your front entry and can't wait to see what the roof will look like. Will it be more of the weathered copper look ?   Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you. The roof will only be a dark gray rolled roofing. This small church budget didn't allow for the copper roofing as it did for the steeple.  8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The River Bend Church came with a solid foundation but many old country churches in the south were set on brick support columns.

Here is a small KC's Workshop structure I set on brick support columns.

These columns are an HO scale 2 feet in height.

For this church, I decided to use Monster Modelworks brick columns. I stained one with Floquil Zinc Chromate Primer.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Not shown here but I then added a thin wash of Bragdon Mortar mix and let dry. I didn't add much as I planned on extensive weathering of the column.

When thoroughly dry, I used three different reds and randomly dry brushed on Polly Scale DTI Cherry Red, NYC Pacemaker Red and Floquil Red Oxide.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The following day, I added a very light staining of Hunterline Driftwood Weathering Mix.

Done for this fine day.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

WigWag Workshop

The brick work is amazing!

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ReadingBob

Great idea to place the church on brick column supports.  That'll really change the appearance of the structure.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Rollin

Quote from: ReadingBob on November 04, 2020, 09:08:45 AM
Great idea to place the church on brick column supports.  That'll really change the appearance of the structure.   :)

My church in Eustis actually sits on brick columns, but you wouldn't know it, because the outside curtain wall extends to the ground.Then again, it looks like a stone building, but it is actually a wooden structure with exterior blocks that mimic stone, but are actually concrete blocks. It is just over one hundred years old as well.