Riverbend Chapel by FOS

Started by ACL1504, September 06, 2020, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Very nice Tom.....how about another "AMEN".  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: nycjeff on October 25, 2020, 12:47:15 AM
Hello Tom, your church looks great. Can't wait to see it and the cemetery installed on your layout.    Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you, much appreciate the compliment. I'm looking forward to the cemetery also. It will be a fun addition.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on October 26, 2020, 08:39:07 AM
Very nice Tom.....how about another "AMEN".  8)

Greg,

Thank you and Amen Brother.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Once the four walls were glued together, I test fit the roof. It didn't fit to my liking. I needed it to fit more flush. The roof card was scored and when bent to fit the roof, the cardboard layers separated and caused a little misalignment.

I cut the panel in half and added some 10X10 bracing to prevent the roof from sagging.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This gave me a better fit with just a little "light leak".

I'll now need to glue the roof in place and figure out how to wire it from the bottom. I wanted to have the roof removal and hang the LEDS from the center of the church.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Prior to gluing the roof in place, I worked on making the lighting from the bottom.

I used a 1/16 thick piece of plain basswood for the bottom of the church.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I placed the church over one end of the stock lumber making sure it was square. I then drew to top and right side line on the wood.

I used a metal square to make sure the lines on the wood were square prior to making the cut.

Continued  -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used the square and a new #11 blade to make the two cuts. Second cut not shown.

As my wall bracing is 10X10, I added some 6X6 bracing flush with the top of the 10X10s. The 6X6s will give me a fit for the floor and overlap the bottom and not allow any light to "leak out".

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Now I have a floor that fits flush with the bottom of the four walls and the main church.

Tomorrow I'll show how I installed the LEDs to light the church stained glass panels.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Tom you're a master builder. Everything looks awesome.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

WigWag Workshop

The build is looking great! I really appreciate the details of the extra material you are using.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 27, 2020, 07:24:15 PM
Tom you're a master builder. Everything looks awesome.

Curt,

You are very kind my friend, thank you.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on October 28, 2020, 06:33:51 AM
The build is looking great! I really appreciate the details of the extra material you are using.

-Steven

Steven,

Thank you sir, much appreciated. I'm happy you are getting some extra information from my builds. I know I've learned from many others.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Hello Tom, I really like what you did with the stripwood at the bottom of your walls to get the floor to be flush with the bottom of the kit. I will have to remember that. Thanks again for your usual very informative build thread.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's