Riverbend Chapel by FOS

Started by ACL1504, September 06, 2020, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: nycjeff on October 28, 2020, 04:08:43 PM
Hello Tom, I really like what you did with the stripwood at the bottom of your walls to get the floor to be flush with the bottom of the kit. I will have to remember that. Thanks again for your usual very informative build thread.   Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you very much for the support. I'm happy you enjoy me build threads.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used the floor 1/16 basswood for the LED base.

I used Microlumina's copper tape for the wiring base. It has an adhesive side and I just stuck it to the basswood.

I soldered the 90 degree corners as shown. You can see the three LEDs wired in line with the Current Limiter.  When looking at the CL, the flat side facing you, the (+) is one the left. Looking at the photo, you can see the (-) on the CL is wired to the red (+) of the LED. One CL for every three LEDS.

For this build, I chose to use Miniatronics LEDs, #12-625-04. I chose these as the wire leads are very stiff. As I'll show in the next post.

Also, I didn't use heat shrink on the wires after soldering the LEDs together. I used Weldwood Contact Cememt to hold them in place.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The LEDs were then positioned so each one shines up and between the two stained glass panels. One LED for the two in the rear/left and one LED for the front/right panels.  I'm not concerned about lighting the right side as this side can't be seen from a visitor's point of view.

One was used to shine on the front/main stained glass window.

Here is how the LEDs look on the inside.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

Here is how the LED lights the stained glass panels on the church. No light leaks showing on the bottom. This is important as I'll show later in the build.

NOTE: In the front view, the roof panel is not yet glued in place.

More in tomorrow's post.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on October 28, 2020, 07:53:03 PM
Beautiful job Tom....Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks very much. This has been a most enjoyable build. 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Great job on the lighting.  The windows are superb.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Tom

The stained glass windows look great. Real nice build. It's going to look great on your layout, my friend.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

sdrees

Those parisheners on the other side of the tracks are going to have a very nice house of worship Tom
Steve Drees
SP RR

ReadingBob

Looks super Tom!  Great job on the lighting.  I was wondering how it was going to look with those stained glass windows and it certainly does not disappoint.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jerryrbeach

Quote from: ReadingBob on October 29, 2020, 06:46:24 AM
Looks super Tom!  Great job on the lighting.  I was wondering how it was going to look with those stained glass windows and it certainly does not disappoint.   ;)

What Bob said!  I have to say I have been chuckling ever since I read your mention of "light leaks".  Probably my warped sense of humor but I have to wonder about "heavy leaks"... ;D
Jerry

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PaulS

Tom,

Your build of the chapel is coming along beautifully !!
And thank you for the pictures and the in depth explanation of how you did the lighting with the current limiters, much appreciated.   This along with a lengthy explanation from Bob (ReadingBob) on his recently completed service station for the A&WM and additional emails to me have really helped in demystifying the whole LED lighting process.

Thanks again and keep up the great work all around on the A&S RR !!
Stay safe and be well,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BandOGuy

Most impressive build Tom, but I have one major concern others may be too shy to share.
Given the A&S's success with kits and lighting, those non- shrinkwrapped wires both me. I hope this structure when mounted on the layout will be no where near the ill fated Middletown station. There are recorded instances of lightning having struck in the same place twice despite the old saw to the contrary.
Just sayin'.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.