Started by ACL1504, September 06, 2020, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 03, 2021, 08:10:44 PM
Everything looks great Tom.

Curt,

Thank you, appreciate the comment.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I started to get the parts and pieces ready to complete the cemetery.

I purchased the cemetery extension kit and found that I was a few parts short. Now, in all fairness to Doug, I may have misplaced the pieces needed to complete the extra supports posts for the wrought iron sections.

I didn't want to bother Doug or wait for replacement parts so I made my own.  I measured the base for the posts and found them to be a scale 6X8. I used HO scale 6 X 8s to make six bases for the posts.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

There are small rings that fit on the bottom and top of each post. I found these to be very tight and difficult to get on the posts.

In order go get them to fit properly, I needed to sand the posts. Not a big deal but time consuming none the less.

More in a few. A Diet Pepsi is calling my name.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Doug mentioned to use CAA (super glue) to attach the wrought iron fence to the posts. The tabs for doing this are very small. You would need to edge glue them to the posts.

I decided to make life a little easier for me when doing this. I used HO scale 2 X 2s, cut to fit and glued to each side of each post.

This gives me some room to glue the tabs to the posts.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

All the tombstones were painted with Floquil CN Gray and set aside to dry.

I took two photos for some unknown reason so you get two photos here.  :-X   These will be weathered later. Oh, yea, I added more stones to the second photo. :o

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

All the support posts were painted with Floquil SP Dark Gray. The coffin was painted with Floquil Rail Brown. These will be weathered later when the paint has cured.

The wrought iron gate and fence sections were pained with Floquil Weathered Black. These will also be weathered once the paint has cured.

Done with this one for today.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

:D  Thanks Tom.  Looking good!  This is giving me a good feel for what I'll have to deal with when I tackle this one.

I have a strange feeling there may be a ghost story forthcoming in one of the Saturday Reports after this is finished and placed on the layout.   :o
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 07, 2021, 04:51:01 PM
:D  Thanks Tom.  Looking good!  This is giving me a good feel for what I'll have to deal with when I tackle this one.

I have a strange feeling there may be a ghost story forthcoming in one of the Saturday Reports after this is finished and placed on the layout.   :o

Bob,

You are very welcome and thank you. A ghost story would be good. This build isn't difficult but I'm making it take longer than necessary just by changing it quite a bit.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Well, I hate to complain but I need to get this one finished so I can start the 2021 challenge. I think my lack of progress is due in part to the recovery of covid-19. I just don't seem to be able to concentrate as I did prior to the crap.

I painted the wrought iron fence with Floquil Weathered Black as previously mentioned. I used Pan Pastels, Burnt Umber and Raw Sienna, to add rust to the fence.

I then blended on some Pan Pastel Black to tone down the rust.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I previously painted the posts with weathered black. I didn't like the look as they were to dark.

I repainted them using a lighter gray, Floquil Concrete. Forgot to take the photo.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

All the tombstones and fence posts were weathered/dry brushed using Floquil Aged Concrete and Antique White.

I'm building the graveyard on the work bench in stages for a test size with the available parts. This grave yard will be smaller than I wanted. The FOS graveyard is up against the church and not all the fencing is needed so the grave yard is larger.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I've relocated the church and grave yard to best fit the space. One major consideration was the ability to view the stained glass.

I still need to cut in a road across the tracks, ballast the track and redo the scenery at the church. Finishing the church and grave yard is only part of finishing the area.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Approximate location of the grave yard.

Done for now.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

nycjeff

Hey Tom, I'm looking forward to seeing the completed scene.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's