Lake's Region RR Part 1

Started by Dennis Bourey, September 18, 2020, 08:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

Dennis,

I glued 1" foam on top of my plywood for just that reason.  The good:  easy to cut or carve away foam to add creeks, rivers, ponds, or just have some terrain below the track level.  The bad:  foam does not hold track nails well.  I glued cork roadbed on top of the foam with latex caulk (do not use latex with silicone added, it will eat the foam) and glued the track to the cork.  I used track nails to keep everything in alignment until the caulk dried.  The other issue I found is that the foam has a slight taper at the edges of the sheets.  I used some light weight spackle ( the kind that turns color) to smooth and level these spots.  It worked well for me after working thru these issues.  I did use homasote where my yard is located because it will be one level and the homasote holds the spikes much better.  HTH
Jerry

Dennis Bourey

Jerry, That's perfect advice. I was thinking of gluing the foam and as you say use it to my advantage. They sell foam chalking at HD it should work for applying the foam to plywood and whatever build up I need for all the other foam build's. I was told to use glue for track in case I need to remove it in the future. I'm Glad your HTH. I will have lots of questions, Thanks.....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Oldguy

I use Liquid Nail Projects as it is made for foam.  I have found that foam dimensions will vary, so two 1" thick pieces are thicker than a 2" piece.  What I have been doing,, is using 5/8" plywood as a base (sitting on 18" Fast Track shelf brackets) and then use 2" thick foam only at my town sites.  I cut 1/2" thick foam into 2" wide strips, using a jig saw, and make spline roadbed.  Four pieces make 2" roadbed, perfect for my HO branch line.  Everything is glued together. 

I have found that Glidden Gripper works with foam as a primer and can glue flat sheets together.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Dennis Bourey

Thank you Bob.... I have much to investigate....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

BandOGuy

Dennis,
Quick question: how are you handling your layout edges? Is the plywood/foam going over the top of the edges or is the plywood/foam dropped below the edge?
Chip Stevens
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Dennis Bourey

Chip, The plywood is over the top even with the edge. I'm not sure if that's right?....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Zephyrus52246

Here's my technique.  I use a grid of 1x4 underframing.  The track is on 3/4 inch plywood raised to the appropriate height (4 inches in some areas).  Foam is used to bring the "scenery" to the height of the track.  This allows 4 inches under the track for rivers, etc.  My two yards are homabed over plywood as they are flat.  Just another technique to confuse you.  ;D

Jeff

nycjeff

Hello Dennis, good luck on your layout project. It looks like you are learning as you go, that's a good thing. You will gets lots of help and advice from the forum members. Have fun.     Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

Dennis Bourey

Thank's Jeff and Jeff F. I been doing all my light in the ceiling yesterday and today.. Picture's to follow tonight. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Dennis

I just looked back at the pictures of your benchwork - my recommendation is to decided the level of the landforms all around the perimeter of the layout.  You can use foam, wood, plaster etc.  Once you know what level you want your facia to be you can add it and cut it to match your landforms. You will want to have access under the layout from the front until you get all of your track work including turnouts and controls installed.  If you are using touch controls put in temporary pieces of facia to hold them. As always, my 2 cents.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

Ok Guy's I been busy with the lighting Jeff asked about. I cut 19 holes and ran all the wiring and LED Recessed lighting. I went with 1200 Lumens lights instead of the 650 lumes lights I had, Finished ceiling had no power close except the main ceiling light. I Ran power in the wall and ran 3 separate switches for each run of layout. Let me tell you if I ran all on one switch I think it would be to bright while working on the layout? 1200 X 19 = about 22,00 Lumens. but anyway I have to figure where to start. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Dennis Bourey

Thank you Curt for following....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net