Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation RR

Started by Opa George, October 04, 2020, 11:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Starting fresh by tearing down to the support frame, downsizing dimensions, height and even the theme.  The old TMB&N was about 15 x 8 and the lowest track height was at 48 inches, making the highest scenery simply too high to appreciate.

The new TMB & N is 12 x 6 and 36 inches high, making it much more accessible all around.  It will be a single-track continuous run dogbone with a few spurs, an engine facility at the near end (in the photo) and small towns at both ends.

The near end is 3 x 6, the far end is 3 x 4 and the connecting bit is 2 feet wide. 

New theme will be a backwoods portage railroad between two waterfront / canal towns.

Improvements:
Walls thorough-sealed, painted and will sport a sky and clouds motif soon, courtesy of my wife.
Ratty insulation in the rafters removed.
Floors cleaned
Aisles widened
I can now reach everything easily
Small size means it will look "finished" sooner with the built kits I already own, but still plenty of room for more.
Lower means my grandsons can see it and can run trains

Fortunately, nearly everything came off of the old layout intact.  I only lost some hard-shell scenery, plaster walls and rocks--all easily replaced with fresh castings when I need them.  Every craftsman kit came up with no damage.  I was hopeful, but even I was amazed at how nicely they parted from their old location.

Most of my old flextrack came up in good enough condition to re-use.

All is looking full steam ahead.

--Opa George

PaulS

Very nice George, and looking forward to following the journey of the new TMB&N RR!!

All the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Lynnb

Seeing as you've brought it down to the bare wood , this would be a good time to reaccess whether the present subframing is going to be adequate for what you want to do. Not saying its not right but just a suggestion. It's so much easier to mold an open grid to making lakes ,bridges and trackbed to your imagination.  :)

Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

jerryrbeach

George,

With your wife painting a backdrop on the walls, I'm curious why you decided to go with an island style layout rather than around the walls.  Obviously, more depth of field and multiple viewing angles, still, inquiring minds and all that.
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Quote from: Lynnb on October 04, 2020, 11:38:59 AM
Seeing as you've brought it down to the bare wood , this would be a good time to reaccess whether the present subframing is going to be adequate for what you want to do. Not saying its not right but just a suggestion. It's so much easier to mold an open grid to making lakes ,bridges and trackbed to your imagination.  :)

I'll certainly be considering that, Lynn. My goal is to have between half and two-thirds of the layout in "water," meaning open flowing water or swampy marshland.  The majority of the track will be on a causeway or low trestle with most structures either right at water's edge or actually on wharfs and pilings.

--Opa George

Opa George

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 04, 2020, 12:21:13 PM
George,

With your wife painting a backdrop on the walls, I'm curious why you decided to go with an island style layout rather than around the walls.  Obviously, more depth of field and multiple viewing angles, still, inquiring minds and all that.

Hi Jerry,

It might just be my preference for island design--I really enjoy seeing everything from as many angles as possible.
--Opa George

postalkarl

Hey George:

Sounds great. Are yoiu modeling any particular canal area. This should be very interestings.

Karl

Opa George

Hi Karl,

No, this will be completely free-lanced. Since I am more interested in structure building and scenery than operations, this will be more like a very large diorama with a continuous running loop.

--Opa George

GPdemayo

A man with a plan.....I'm looking forward to seeing your new concept come to life George.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

George

I like your approach - A great design means I understand why I'm designing this way.  When I designed my layout I wanted to be able to take a photograph of a locomotive or train on the trestle with 7 different mountain ranges as a background. I like your idea to be able to view structures from as many angles as possible.  Remember that you can mount a camera on a train and view your structures from the railroad tracks like we did with the F&SM. I will be following your progress.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey George:

Sounds just great to me. Looking forward to photos.

Karl

Opa George

A check-in to let everyone know I haven't dropped off the face of the Earth.  Although I haven't gotten a tremendous amount done on the new layout either.

But some progress.  Below is the future location of the layout's main town, Old Head. The mainline emerges from either a deep cut or a tunnel (still undecided) and circles the town on a causeway.  About 90% of the town is in the middle of the circle, mostly on pilings,  Venice-like.  My two major builds from the old layout, Bandits Roost and Watt-Moreland Waxworks, will flank the center support column, representing higher and drier ground.

To the left is the town's only major industry, the car ferry from the mainland. The TMB & N, as a portage line, has the job of moving cars between the ferry, through the swamp to the canal at the other end of the layout.

--Opa George

PRR Modeler

Looks good George. Good to see you posting again.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Dennis Bourey

I like that very much George.....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)