Sheepscot Structure Kits.

Started by SteveCuster, October 13, 2020, 02:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveCuster

Has anyone completed any of the larger Sheepscot structure kits? I looking at maybe picking up Beanfield Siding but I can't get an idea of how it looks or what's included from the ground level pictures on the box. Google search comes up with very few completed Sheepscot kits and no completed Beanfield Sidings. Just really interested in the quality of the components included with those kits.
Steve Custer

carl b

Hello Steve,

I built the Sheepscot 'Red Herring Packing" kit in 2015, and did a comprehensive build thread on it here:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45967

Several things to keep in mind on many Sheepscot kits:

1. There were no step by step instructions, only vague bullet point guidelines.
2. There were very few details included.
3. No roofing materials were provided.
4. Full scale plans and templates for walls are printed on oversize sheets, but some were inaccurate.
5. Sheepscot assumes some previous scratch building experience from the modeler

Carl

Jerry

An a very fine build it was Carl!

Steve you can do it I'll follow along for sure!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: SteveCuster on October 13, 2020, 02:53:26 PM
Has anyone completed any of the larger Sheepscot structure kits? I looking at maybe picking up Beanfield Siding but I can't get an idea of how it looks or what's included from the ground level pictures on the box. Google search comes up with very few completed Sheepscot kits and no completed Beanfield Sidings. Just really interested in the quality of the components included with those kits.

Steve,
The last structure in this video looks like the Sheepscot Beanfield Siding complex...never saw one built in person...the layout is The Black Bear and Bayou RR built by the late Leo Palitti...
https://www.facebook.com/473276589416021/videos/vb.473276589416021/1788001044610229/?type=2&theater
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

engine909

Steve, You can do it. Most would throw the damn thing in the trash. Do it out of the hearing range of children.
ed

PaulS

Steve,
I was hoping that Carl would provide you his assessment on the Sheepscot kits.   The wonderful build thread he shared with you was excellent.  He notes the challenges in these kits, but when finally built up they can be very nice.  Carl has summed up the limitations of these kits very well.

I too built have built Red Herring, and noted at the time that it was the best kit I ever scratch-built !
Seeing your modeling and what you have done in the past, you will be able to produce a very nice build from the box of sticks, a couple of photos, some drawings and a stream of consciousness that are titled 'instructions' but more aptly 'notionals'.   The two key elements you will need going in is a sense of humor and two parts patience.

In your capable hands, I am looking forward to following your build,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

SteveCuster

I'll keep an eye out for one on Ebay for the right price. If I pick one up I'll definitely do a build thread for better or worse.

I'm having a horrible time posting on the forum lately. Errors constantly no matter what I use (2 different PCs, different browsers, IPad, Iphone). Anyone else experiencing this?
Steve Custer

ACL1504

I built the Acadia Rock kit/scratch build about 20 years ago. It was huge and it took me most of 10 months. When finished it was so large  I couldn't use on that old layout. Sold it on Ebay a few years later. Can't find my photos of the build as yet.

I agree 100% with what Carl stated. I have the Sheepscot Tug kit and have putting that one off for 20+ years.

Sheepscot kits are beautiful and intricate when finished but not for beginners or "The faint of Heart"?

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

I haven't built any of their kits so I can't make any statements about them.

Karl

NEMMRRC

I always wanted to own one of these kits. Unfortunately, I've not been able to procure any of the Sheepscot offerings.

They sure do look great in the old magazine ads.

Jaime