Started by nycjeff, October 20, 2020, 01:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

This is really coming together nicely Jeff!  Well done.  :D

Re. the Copper paint I found a different brand of Acrylic paints that has metallic colors like Copper and they're really growing on me.  I just picked up a Nickel from FolkArt and tried it out on some parts on the boat I'm building.  I have to go shop for some others.  They were sold out of Gun Metal at Michaels so I may check Hobby Lobby tomorrow.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

nycjeff

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 29, 2020, 04:54:40 PM
Great modeling Jeff.

Thank you Curt, it seems that the more of these kits that I do, the more comfortable I am building them. Of course, the many tips and techniques that I pick up on this forum sure help.   Jeff

Quote from: ReadingBob on October 30, 2020, 09:23:02 AM
This is really coming together nicely Jeff!  Well done.  :D

Re. the Copper paint I found a different brand of Acrylic paints that has metallic colors like Copper and they're really growing on me.  I just picked up a Nickel from FolkArt and tried it out on some parts on the boat I'm building.  I have to go shop for some others.  They were sold out of Gun Metal at Michaels so I may check Hobby Lobby tomorrow.

Hello Bob, thanks for the kind words. I have been really impressed with the Copper paint. I haven't tried the Nickel or the Gun Metal yet, but I will look for them on my next Michaels trip. By the way I'm really enjoying your ship build. It's something different that's for sure, but you are doing your usual wonderful job.   Jeff

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

Continuing on...

For the base of this build I cut a piece of thin styrene about 8 x 12 and drew a pencil outline of the building footprint. Then I painted the styrene with basic brown craft paint and sprinkled on my base scenery material- sifted dirt from my yard. I also added some ground foam and fine ballast material- green, red, black and yellow until it looked right.

After glueing the enclosed stairway to the right side, I felt that it needed some support, so I built a frame from 1/16 square stripwood and painted it with the dark chocolate trim color.

Here is the frame installed under the stairway. The wall vent casting came with the kit.

I glued the smokestacks into the roof holes. The collars on the stacks are blue painters tape which I painted with the French Wine craft color. I then attached brass wires which I also painted with the French Wine color to the stacks and the roof.

I made several sets of steps using the jig which came with the kit. The jig made this very easy- if you don't have one of these jigs, I definitely recommend that you get one. I know that KC's Workshop sells them and I think they are available from other kit manufacturers as well. They make steps relatively easy to build. I also built some simple railings for the sides of the loading dock and added some details.

I added some simple wood steps to the rear entrance, which I painted with a dark grey color to simulate concrete. The silver tank comes from a Walthers Industrial Tank set. That's it for now, more later.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

That pretty much does it for this build. Following are some final pics. I really enjoyed this build. It was the largest wood kit that I have attempted so far and I learned some lessons along the way. Most notably, bracing large wood walls to prevent warping. This was my first KC's Workshop kit. The materials were all well made, but the instructions were written for a modeler who has already done some craftsman kits. Overall, I recommend this kit for any layout- it has interesting roof lines and it can be added to easily. Thanks to all for the comments and feedback.

Sorry I couldn't get the last picture to rotate.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

PRR Modeler

Great modeling Jeff. I really like the smoke stacks with support wires.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

nycjeff

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on November 01, 2020, 01:16:12 PM
Beautiful job Jeff....Dennis

Thank you Dennis, I had a good time with this build.

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 01, 2020, 03:59:21 PM
Great modeling Jeff. I really like the smoke stacks with support wires.

Hello Curt, I like the smokestacks as well, they came with the kit I painted them flat black and added the bands with blue painters tape painted with French Wine craft paint. I painted the wires, which also came with the kit, with the French Wine color and super glued them in place.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

WigWag Workshop

Mind blown away with this build Jeff!

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Zephyrus52246

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Beautiful job on this. Love your coloring and signs.

Karl

nycjeff

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on November 04, 2020, 07:09:35 AM
Mind blown away with this build Jeff!

-Steven

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on November 04, 2020, 07:21:39 AM
Very nice work.

Jeff

Quote from: sdrees on November 04, 2020, 12:28:54 PM
Nice looking model

Quote from: postalkarl on November 04, 2020, 07:16:58 PM
Hey Jeff:

Beautiful job on this. Love your coloring and signs.

Karl

Thank you Steven, Jeff, Steve and Karl. I appreciate the kind words. This was the largest wood kit that I have built so far and I really enjoyed it. KC's Workshop did a great job with the kit and it offers many possibilities for various designs.  I had Dave K's excellent build thread from a few years ago to help me along. I would recommend this kit for any era layout. I also want to thank Tom (ACL1504) for his help with the weathered copper roof technique. This was my first standing seam metal roof and I am very pleased with the result.

My next build will be something completely different- I'm waiting on delivery of RDA Delaney Iron Works and am anxious to see what I can do with the kit. I've been watching videos and looking at build threads for stone wall structures.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

rpdylan

Looking really good! I only use Hunterline Stains now for my walls and weight them down with cheap, heavy 12x12 floor tile that I got at Home Depot.
Bob C.

nycjeff

Quote from: rpdylan on November 05, 2020, 03:07:33 AM
Looking really good! I only use Hunterline Stains now for my walls and weight them down with cheap, heavy 12x12 floor tile that I got at Home Depot.

Hello Bob, thanks for the compliment. Are Hunterline stains better than good old AI solution ?  I had warping problems on the large wood walls of this kit. In the future I will definitely use more bracing on large walls. I didn't use anymore AI solution than normal. The only thing I can think of is that you get a deeper color stain with less liquid with the Hunterline products. I like your idea of using heavy tiles to weigh down the walls, I may have to pick up a couple on my next Home Depot visit. Thank you.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona