KC's Workshop Steelton Feed and Seed

Started by nycjeff, October 20, 2020, 01:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

The HunterLine stains are alcohol based (I suspect they're not 100% alcohol, but I don't know.)  They will cause warping, but not as much as conventional water.  I just paint the other side with cheap alcohol (70%) and then add weights overnight.

The big advantage of the HunterLine stains is their consistent color.  The color range is useful, and you know that you'll get the same color when you run out and need another bottle.  The only stain that hasn't worked for me is their " white pigment."

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

tom.boyd.125

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

nycjeff

Quote from: deemery on November 05, 2020, 06:20:30 PM
The HunterLine stains are alcohol based (I suspect they're not 100% alcohol, but I don't know.)  They will cause warping, but not as much as conventional water.  I just paint the other side with cheap alcohol (70%) and then add weights overnight.

The big advantage of the HunterLine stains is their consistent color.  The color range is useful, and you know that you'll get the same color when you run out and need another bottle.  The only stain that hasn't worked for me is their " white pigment."

dave

Hello Dave, thank you for the good information regarding Hunterline stains. The AI solution that I use is mostly 70% alcohol and a little India Ink- no water involved. Sometimes I use two coats to get to a desired color darkness with the AI solution. If I understand you correctly, a little of the Hunterline stain is all that is necessary if you are using a dark enough stain- is that right ?

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on November 05, 2020, 09:48:53 PM
Jeff,
Nice modeling.
Tommy

Thank you Tommy, I appreciate the kind words
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

deemery

The AI solution that I use is mostly 70% alcohol and a little India Ink- no water involved.

Uh, what do you think the other 30% in that bottle is?  I think it's water.   ???

The HunterLine stains work like A&I, you can reapply it to get a darker/deeper color.  For stripwood, I tend to put the wood in a shallow dish, pour the stain in, remove the wood, and then pour the stain back into the bottle. 

dave

nycjeff

Quote from: deemery on November 06, 2020, 08:23:33 AM
The AI solution that I use is mostly 70% alcohol and a little India Ink- no water involved.

Uh, what do you think the other 30% in that bottle is?  I think it's water.   ???

The HunterLine stains work like A&I, you can reapply it to get a darker/deeper color.  For stripwood, I tend to put the wood in a shallow dish, pour the stain in, remove the wood, and then pour the stain back into the bottle. 

dave

Hello Dave, once again thank you for the information. I never gave the obvious a thought, I think I'll blame it on a senior moment. It just goes to show you that you are never too old to learn something new. I will have to get some Hunterline stains.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

deemery

You can get 99% alcohol, but it's expensive.  It's useful to have a bottle to mix up A&I for use where you don't want any water, or to clean things, etc.  But even 99% will cause some warping.

dave

nycjeff

Quote from: deemery on November 07, 2020, 09:23:16 AM
You can get 99% alcohol, but it's expensive.  It's useful to have a bottle to mix up A&I for use where you don't want any water, or to clean things, etc.  But even 99% will cause some warping.

dave

Dave, I appreciate all the info you've given me. I'm sure that there are others reading these posts and also learning something. That's the great thing about the forum.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Quote from: ACL1504 on November 09, 2020, 08:01:05 AM
Jeff,

Well done indeed.

Tom ;D

Hello Tom, thank you for the compliment. I had a good time with this build.

This is a picture of the structure in it's new home on my layout.

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

bparrish

Wow.......

What a cool structure.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

nycjeff

Hello Bob, thanks for looking in and I'm glad you liked the kit.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

jerryrbeach

Jeff,

Very nice, certainly a focal point on your layout.  I like the way you mounted the outlying tanks, tec., on a base and then blended that into the scenery.  That seems like an easier approach than trying to get everything aligned on the layout.
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Beautiful job on that one. What's next?

Karl

nycjeff

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 11, 2020, 06:10:01 PM
Jeff,

Very nice, certainly a focal point on your layout.  I like the way you mounted the outlying tanks, tec., on a base and then blended that into the scenery.  That seems like an easier approach than trying to get everything aligned on the layout.

Hello Jerry, thank you for the kind words. As to mounting the kit on a base, I've noticed that most modelers on the forum mount their builds on a 2 inch foam base. Most of these dioramas, as they certainly are, are then placed onto a layout without any built-up scenery. In my case, I am placing my builds on areas with scenery already present. I've been working on my layout for about 12 years and most of my kits up until the last couple years were styrene types. Now that I have started to build wood craftsman style kits I find that I am placing them in completed areas and the thin styrene base that I use helps me to do this easily.

Quote from: postalkarl on November 12, 2020, 05:03:42 PM
Hey Jeff:

Beautiful job on that one. What's next?

Karl

Thanks for the compliment Karl, as for what's next check out the build thread that I have started on my RDA Delaney Iron Works kit.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Opa George

Jeff,
Beautiful job on that. I love the Steelton sign.  It really adds that dash of style.
--Opa George