Moonshiners Cabin by Inter-Action Enterprises

Started by Oldguy, October 21, 2020, 08:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Time to work on a family compound.  This little building will be perfect (I hope) to be front and center.

The kit I bought was on special, so I ordered it with both the interior and the motorized rocking chair.

This will be a break for me, as these instructions are also illustrated.  Something new for me lately.

Kit contents.  A decent amount of different woods and a small package of resin parts for the chimney and flue.  I don't think that I have built a kit with a minimal amount of strip wood to deal with.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

As for the additional bits.

The interior kit has all the furniture, 3-D printed plates and bottles, a couple of milk cans and a magic smoke generator.

The rocking chair kit has the battery pack, on/off switch, and mounting brackets,  Perhaps more, but I haven't opened the bag yet.

And oh, I forgot to mention that the kit has self-adhesive aluminum tape and a jig to make your our corrugated roofing.

So far so good.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Well, this is different.  First step, build a door.  Okay, one has to start somewhere.  Glue 1 to 1b to 1c.  Then add "glass" a "latch plate" and a round thingy for a door knob.  Hmmm, maybe the round thingy is 3-D print.  I'll look for it later.  But the issue has to do with the door knob hole.  What future illustration show, this door is a right-handed door, so coming in form the outside, the hinges are on the right as the door swings away from you.  The first step is building a left-handed door.  It makes more sense to have a right-handed door, that will swing to the wall on the right towards the window.  Minor issue.

With everything on carrier sheets, I needed to determine what the interior colors are to be.  I already know that the outside is "unpainted", but the inside?  Meh.

So I weathered everything and moved on.  I did use some Minwax Golden Oak for the floor.  Once "dusted" it'll tone down.  I hope.  The board ends are more pronounced than I wanted.  The bit out front is small enough to have used full flooring.  The porch doesn't get good flooring.

So now comes the making of board and batten siding from flat sheets.  Very clever.

Then on to the double hung windows.  Very nice, but a pain to get the "glass" in place.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

To make the board and batten walls, I need a way to glue the teeny batten strips to the walls.  I found a can of Elmers Spray Adhesive.  Maybe.  I found that one has about 15 to 30 seconds of work time to do any adjustments.  The way the parts ate cut, just align the vertical ends, apply, and do some quick adjustments around the window/door cutouts.  When dry, cut off the excess.  Easy peasy with a bit of queasy.

The newspaper wallpaper is provided for all but two walls.  Follow the guidelines and no problems.  I didn't like the bare other walls, so I did add some other newspaper wallpaper and wallpaper for the two long walls. 

I got the chimney parts and included foundation pieces painted.  Once dry, I'll spray them with Dullcoat and add the mortar.

Here's something I have never seen - window sills for both exterior and interior.  They have a very fine notch for the exterior window frames.  Cool.  But, they don't fit.  The width of the sill gap is smaller than the thickness of the wall by 0.01".  Not much in the real world, but here it's a bunch.  I simply stole from the exterior sill on both sides and they fit.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

WigWag Workshop

Looking forward to seeing this build come together.  There is a build on YouTube of this kit, that is pretty detailed. The guy actually points out a mistake he made, in which he had to order another kit.  I plan on ordering their Tobacco Shop kit in the near future.

Link to the 5 part build - https://youtu.be/ZJ33cSQYg2o

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ReadingBob

Very neat.  I'll be following along.  If I recall correctly (always questionable) this cabin is based on the one seen in the movie "The Untouchables".  The one Elliot Ness and his crew waited in near the bridge that crossed the border into Canada.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jerryrbeach

Bob,

Interesting build so far.  I'll be looking over your shoulder on this one, too. 
Jerry

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on October 22, 2020, 06:38:03 AM
Looking forward to seeing this build come together.  There is a build on YouTube of this kit, that is pretty detailed. The guy actually points out a mistake he made, in which he had to order another kit.  I plan on ordering their Tobacco Shop kit in the near future.

Link to the 5 part build - https://youtu.be/ZJ33cSQYg2o

-Steven

I have seen several of this guys videos, but missed this one.  And yes, those two walls can get confused, but he also missed that the window in each are offset differently.  But thanks for the link.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Well Bob, Jerry and Greg great to have you all along. 

I used light weight Spackle for the grout and it came out fairly decently.

I too did not like the chain link sized screen door material.  I had previously scored about a half a yard of a tighter weave tulle.  I cut off a 4" swath and spray painted it with Tamyia gray primer.  It does look a lot better than what was provided.

Next up adding corner posts.  It would have been a lot easier with out the window sills, but it still worked out.  Then came the interior window frames.  Another first for me.  Interior window frames.

Getting closer finishing the walls.  Next up bracing at the upper edges.  These are to be placed "slightly" below the rafter notches.  0.08" slightly below.  Then a following page shows these braces, but they are either covered with wallpaper or painted.  Although, the braces go on each wall section, the following page doesn't show the two short walls with them.    It will be a simple matter of wrapping the brace material before installing.

I did manage to get the cabin base pieces glued together.  There is a very pointed note to make sure that the grain direction of is opposite of each other.  There will be a small offset that the foundation wall will set into. 

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Rail and Tie

Hi Bob, thought I would chime in if you don't mind. You are doing a great job on this little model.  Thanks for doing the build here and I will pass the link on to other customers as you have some great tips about building this challenging but hopefully rewarding kit.

I checked the instructions and see that 5i should be reversed on the parts sheet. My bad!

I see that you have on of the early release kits (we put the wrong tulle fabric in the kit for the screen door as you have found out). I thought we mailed out replacements to everyone, but seem to have missed you and a few others.

Another thing you might want to check when you get to it is the rocking chair motion arm doubler (98). The old instructions say to glue it to the arm(97) prior to setting the arm through the hole in the front porch floor. This should be done after installing through the floor and is optional. I added it(98) to help long term wear, but it is really not needed as I have been running the animation for many hours with no wear and tear on the slot. This got changed in later kits, but the early ones had this error in the instructions.

The rocking chair is the most challenging part as the pieces are tiny and need to be accurately shaped and placed. I have been trying to put out a tutorial video with some tips on this and just trying to get caught up.

Keep up the good work and your constructive comments go to helping us better our kit(s).

Cheers!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Oldguy

Quote from: Rail and Tie on October 23, 2020, 02:14:26 PM
Hi Bob, thought I would chime in if you don't mind. You are doing a great job on this little model.  Thanks for doing the build here and I will pass the link on to other customers as you have some great tips about building this challenging but hopefully rewarding kit.

I checked the instructions and see that 5i should be reversed on the parts sheet. My bad!

I see that you have on of the early release kits (we put the wrong tulle fabric in the kit for the screen door as you have found out). I thought we mailed out replacements to everyone, but seem to have missed you and a few others.

Another thing you might want to check when you get to it is the rocking chair motion arm doubler (98). The old instructions say to glue it to the arm(97) prior to setting the arm through the hole in the front porch floor. This should be done after installing through the floor and is optional. I added it(98) to help long term wear, but it is really not needed as I have been running the animation for many hours with no wear and tear on the slot. This got changed in later kits, but the early ones had this error in the instructions.

The rocking chair is the most challenging part as the pieces are tiny and need to be accurately shaped and placed. I have been trying to put out a tutorial video with some tips on this and just trying to get caught up.

Keep up the good work and your constructive comments go to helping us better our kit(s).

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips and shout out.  One item that I didn't mention is that there are two #11's on the parts ID page.  There is a #11 for the interior window frames and another #11 for the long wall which should be 3b.  I think. 

I need to look and see what I did, but could have missed the reversed 5i.  It is a cool little kit that is busting my chops.  But in a good way.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

This has a slightly different (at least to me) foundation build.  I found that I could better control the angles by sanding them.  My sander has a decent 45 degree setting.  Take it slow and keep and eye on the shoulder and where it lands on the under card.  The angle shoulder should hit the corner.

I managed to get the bracing wrapped and glued.  So whie that stuff was drying, I worked on the biscuit boxes.  Damn, but these are tiny.  I got them bent, but the teeny glue ears were too teeny for my fat fingers.  I did use a piece of scale 8x8 as a core and it went together fairly easy.  I probably could have used a 8x10, or possibly a 10x10, but I have neither.

Prior to adding the walls, I checked the door sills.  And yep, I didn't have the clearance.  It's like 0.015"and I used it up gluing in the doors.  So, a little judicious filing and I should be good to go.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln