Wiring a tortoise switch machine so a bi-color LED with light yellow

Started by pbltrains, November 02, 2020, 03:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbltrains

Hello all,

I got into a project to try to light a bi-color LED yellow simply by using the contacts on a Tortoise switch machine.  I've succeeded with the help of a friend, but the yellow LED lights when the turnout is lined for the main track instead of the passing siding.  I've tried several variations of re-wiring to get it to light yellow for the siding, but no luck.

Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.

Seth P.
Minnesota

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Seith

I tried to copy and past the pin diagram I use. Are you using the tortoise machine contacts or your control panel switch to indicate the turnout position?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

bparrish

Seth....
Couple of things first...... when dealing with LED's, this circuit cannot be commingled with any other stuff, including track power.  The easiest way is to provide a 5v. wall wart current source and keep it isolated.  Tortoise machines are good for this as the relay portions of the machine is in fact isolated.  You may however run several indicators off of a single wall current supply.

Now to go on......... If the operation you are getting is reversed of what you want, it may be as simple as going to the other relay on the tortoise.  That would mean moving to contacts 2-3-4.   

The fundamental design of the Tortoise is that when one is "made" the other is "open".

Hope this helps..

Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

pbltrains

Thanks John & Bob,

I will try your suggestions.  I am VERY close.  The LED I'm working with is the lower signal on a 2 head searchlight model.  I have already gotten it to light yellow, but its when the switch is lined for the main.  I, of course, want it to light yellow when lined for the siding.  I've tried reversing wires to no avail. 

I will keep forging ahead.

Seth P.
Minnesota

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looks like fun. I couldn't do it. I just never understood wiring.

Karl