“Rocky Point Harbor” - an F&SM Tribute

Started by Keep It Rusty, November 03, 2020, 11:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep It Rusty

Each and every day I find new inspiration from George Sellio's wonderful layout, F&SM. I think most of us do. A couple weeks ago, however, I decided I'd take a small corner in that would and recreate it - albeit to the beat of my own drum.

One of my favourite little collections of buildings is the Rocky Point Harbor, which consists of the following buildings:

#1 FSM Metal Castings
#2 Cap'n Franks Seafood Cafe
#3 Swee'Pea Bar & Grill /w Rooming House
#4 Saulena's Tavern
#5 Izzy Fishing Co
#6 Emporium Seafood Co
#7 Small Office Building

Buildings #1, #4, #6 & #7 are kits. I will be heavily modding some of them (Saulena's Tavern from Bar Mills is only half the building as seen on the F&SM). The rest will be scratch built.

I'm starting with building #2, Cap'n Franks Seafood Cafe. Here's the back:

One thing that struck me about this building, after staring at it for hours, is that is very closely resembles Bailey's Produce Co. So I pulled my yet-built kit off the shelf and copied the walls, building them out of 1/16" basswood bought from Ace Hardware.

I'm copying the Bailey building to a degree, with the main difference being the omission of the small add-on structure and loading dock. My building will be ground level and feature a store front that I have 3D designed and printed:

(Prototype design print - not final)

I am also designing other details, such as dust collectors, ducting, pipes etc_

These were all designed using Tinkercad. An easy, free online tool that works by an adding/subtracting shapes method to creating custom designs. I'm printing using a cheap ($169) 3D printer, the Anycubic Photon.

Back to the build, I followed the instructions for the Bailey's kit, scratchbuilding the pieces along the way, incorporating some features and ignoring others and I arrived here:

This is how is stands right now. Lots to do still. I'm probably about 65% through the build. From here, I will be sure to document the build more intimately for anyone interested.

My plan is to construct all the scratchbuilds first, so the next building will be #3, the Rooming House.

More soon.

RR

ReadingBob

Sweet!  I've been too intimidated by the learning curve to tackle a 3D printer but I can see a great benefit to using them.  This is going to be a wonderful build thread to follow along with.  Thanks for sharing!  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Keep It Rusty

You know, a few short weeks ago and I was intimidated too. I always thought "3D designs are just going to slow me down, it'll be easier putting something together in the workshop"

But then things changed. Tinkercad being one of them.

It definitely makes things nice and easy - and I'm happy to go through the steps of using a 3D printer, should you be curious!

Thanks for your kind words!

Dennis Bourey

Rusty, How did you convert the measurements to HO Scale and what printer are you using? Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Hey Dennis. Tinkercad deals in mm and I've been using a digital caliper to get whatever sizing I need from the structure itself, like I knew I needed my storefront to be 54mm wide. And I know that most Preisers are around 20-23mm, so doorways need to accommodate that. HO Scale rulers are handy here too.

For things like the Dust Collectors I'm using the same caliper to take a bunch of measurements from George's original castings. I'll post a photo of my dust collector prints soon.

I'm using an Anycubic Photon printer 

S&S RR

Great thread - I'm following along with tremendous interest.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

Thank you sir, Do they have there own software and picture's to download? Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Zephyrus52246

Structure looks great so far.  Nice work on the storefront design.

Jeff

Keep It Rusty

Thanks everyone. Excited to be cracking the knuckles on this one and even more excited to start my first build thread here!

Dennis, Tinkercad is a completely free, online tool made by Autodesk. There's some good news for the day :)

PRR Modeler

Incredible! I will most definitely be following.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Rail and Tie

Awesome work. Definitely along for the ride on this one! Excellent CAD to Realization work!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Keep It Rusty

Thank you both. Very kind.

Thrilled to be sharing it!

Keep It Rusty

Got some work done last night as I was watching Election coverage.

First I started with the hoist roof. I added some lead flashing to the peak. I'm not sure this is historically accurate (or even code!) but I'm never shooting for that anyway, especially with an FSM tribute!!

Next up was the dormer. I used clapboard for this build, and also a round window:

Using .070 acetate from Hobby Lobby, I got all the windows put in. I used manilla folders aged with pastel chalks for the blinds. It's photos like this that show I need to take more care with my shingles. I hate that I have gaps in the rows, exposing the strips... oh well, lessons learned.

Corrugated metal panels were cut to size and aged. I gave them all a black wash first, then used a combination of brown paints (Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber) to rust each panel. I also used a Rust solution I've had for some years to simulate the fresh rust. Finally, each panel had some pastel chalk to cut the shine:

To top the night's build, I designed and printed a store sign. I like this one:

More soon.

Jerry

Very nice start.  And very interesting on the parts your making.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)