Started by Keep It Rusty, November 03, 2020, 11:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: Oldguy on February 19, 2021, 09:50:51 AM
That is fantastic!  Simply fantastic.

Thanks Bob! Really enjoying how this kit is going together. Not quite sure why I sound so surprised that an FSM kit is giving me much enjoyment...

NKP768

Mark Dalrymple

Great colouring, Craig.

Looks really nice.

Cheers, Mark.

Janbouli

Just fantastic , great weathering , go on, go on Craig
I love photo's, don't we all.

Keep It Rusty

Doug, Mark, Jan — really appreciate your kind words. I'm always so encouraged by this little community.

I will definitely go on!  8)

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

Thanks for the tutorial on the painting.

An excellent job on this one.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Keep It Rusty

John, Jerry -- thank you for stopping by with your kind comments.

I hope that little write up may help, Jerry.

PaulS

Looks wonderful thus far Craig !!
A great kit and you are doing it justice,
Look forward to seeing it come together and your interpretation,
All the best,
--Paul

PS; And interested in what oils you are experimenting with, techniques and your thoughts.
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

ACL1504

Craig,

What a perfectly nasty old structure. It just looks terrible, in a complimentary way of course.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: PaulS on February 20, 2021, 09:25:32 AM
All the best,
--Paul

PS; And interested in what oils you are experimenting with, techniques and your thoughts.

Thanks Paul! I've been using Abteilung 502 oils. These are a little more pricey than the hobby store artist oils, but for good reason: they are for modeling. They have a higher pigment and lower linseed oil ratio. Meaning rich color, but quick drying time. I always apply my oils as a wash, varying only its strength (if it's for a greasy machine part, it will go on from the tube).

I then use thinners and q-tips or brushes to pull back any parts that are overdone. For the doors above, I used a product from "Mr Hobby", which was a pre-made oil wash.

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 20, 2021, 03:20:17 PM
Craig,

What a perfectly nasty old structure. It just looks terrible, in a complimentary way of course.

Tom  ;D

Thanks Tom! In the 30 or so years she been stood standing, time and industry have not been kind.

PaulS

Quote from: Rusty Robot on February 20, 2021, 06:45:13 PM
Quote from: PaulS on February 20, 2021, 09:25:32 AM
All the best,
--Paul

Thanks Paul! I've been using Abteilung 502 oils. These are a little more pricey than the hobby store artist oils, but for good reason: they are for modeling. They have a higher pigment and lower linseed oil ratio. Meaning rich color, but quick drying time. I always apply my oils as a wash, varying only its strength (if it's for a greasy machine part, it will go on from the tube).

I then use thinners and q-tips or brushes to pull back any parts that are overdone. For the doors above, I used a product from "Mr Hobby", which was a pre-made oil wash.

Thank you for the information and insight Craig, I will have to check out the Abteilung oils.
Much appreciated and will continue to follow along here,
All the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

GPdemayo

Excellent detail work Craig, especially the siding.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Wonderful job.  Love the finish on the detail castings.  I'll have to check out those the Abteilung oils as well.  I've dabbled with regular artist oil colors for certain things and do like the way they work as washes as well has how you can undo what you've simply by washing it off with mineral spirits while the paints are still wet.  The Abteilung oils. sound interesting and you've achieved some fantastic results with them.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.