“Rocky Point Harbor” - an F&SM Tribute

Started by Keep It Rusty, November 03, 2020, 11:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazeman

The town needs a paint store.  Excellent work.

I second Mark's musing about the tire on the roof.  Not questioning your choice to do so, but in so many builds, which are taken from photos of real roofs, somehow a tire is among the debris.  Why is a tire, only one, on so many?  America needs to know.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Keep It Rusty

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone. I'm really enjoying paying tribute to George's work.

Quote from: Janbouli on November 20, 2020, 05:21:22 AM
Sorry to say  I do think you overdid the broken boards a bit , but that's just my opinion .

I will be the first to say that my top-down, workbench lighting isn't the best and it's actually making the structure look more overdone than it really is.

Quote from: Blazeman on November 20, 2020, 08:05:50 AMWhy is a tire, only one, on so many?  America needs to know.

Tar roofing and sheet metal roofing always came loose and made noise/leaked in high winds and rain. It's my understanding that a tire was often used to hold down the offending panel until it could be repaired.

S&S RR

Craig

Beautiful models, very well done. Great job on the build thread, too.  We are looking forward to many more.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: S&S RR on November 20, 2020, 10:17:16 AM
Craig

Beautiful models, very well done. Great job on the build thread, too.  We are looking forward to many more.

Thanks so much, John. Can't wait to build and share more. Next up will be modding Bar Mill's Saulena's so it's in line with the original!

S&S RR

Craig

I thought I would post a link to George's Rock Point Harbor for reference. I'm sending you a PM with some comments.

http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=742.255
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: S&S RR on November 20, 2020, 10:23:18 AM
http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=742.255

Your photos of the F&SM in these From the Air threads have made this whole tribute possible. Couldn't be more grateful for the effort uploading them all.

postalkarl

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: postalkarl on November 20, 2020, 11:43:49 AM
Hey Rusty:

Very well done.

Karl

Thanks so much, Karl! Coincidentally, I just opened my Yehudah's Heating Co box for the first time and guess who's name is staring back at me moment the lid is off!

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteTar roofing and sheet metal roofing always came loose and made noise/leaked in high winds and rain. It's my understanding that a tire was often used to hold down the offending panel until it could be repaired.

Thanks for that, Rusty.

Another mystery potentially solved.

Cheers, Mark.

EricQuebec

Very Nice building. Have you make a draw for it ? I will be very interested to build them too
Eric

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: EricQuebec on November 20, 2020, 05:27:11 PM
Very Nice building. Have you make a draw for it ? I will be very interested to build them too
Eric

Eric, thanks so much for the kind words. For the G.S Scale Supplies building, I basically used FSM's Bailey's Produce Co as my guide to scratch build my own. I just omitted certain part of the structure as I went. For this build I used 1/16" plain basswood.

For the Swee'Peas building, some of it is 3D printed (like the cornice and storefronts), but the rest was either 1/16" Clapboard siding from Northeastern Scale Lumber and the following walls from FOS Scale, cut to size:

https://fosscalemodels.com/collections/ho-wall-sections/products/clapboard-wall-section-c103-ho-scale
https://fosscalemodels.com/collections/ho-wall-sections/products/copy-of-clapboard-wall-section-a-109-ho-scale

Going forwards, I'll be sure to photograph the walls as they lay flat on my workbench, but I hope this helps.

postalkarl

Keep It Rusty