“Rocky Point Harbor” - an F&SM Tribute

Started by Keep It Rusty, November 03, 2020, 11:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep It Rusty

I'm still finishing Swee'Peas' Rooming House, but as that build winds down I've already begun working on the next: Saulenas' Tavern.

Bar Mills makes a kit that's been around for years and I'm using it as a base for my build. I'm only using it in this way because it's not the full, original Tavern as originally built by Paul Saulenas' for the F&SM. Here is a reference photo of the Bar Mills kit:

Here is a top down shot of the original on the F&SM:

Essentially, in the Bar Mills kit you are only getting the blue part of the below photo. I'm not sure why it was done this way by Bar Mills, but one thing I do know is I'll need to scratch build the rest of the structure to make it a more accurate tribute.

I started by laying out some of the main wall sections you get in the Bar Mills kit:

The top piece shown here will be cut twice, providing material for the push-out structure at the top of the stairs. Seen here:

The middle piece is not needed and saved for future scratchbuilding. The blank piece will have windows and a doorway cut out in line with the reference photo above.

Also, the left hand side has kit sections stitched together to form a longer wall section. The join will be covered by electrical conduit or downspouts.

Next up, building the rear panel of the building.

As this is longer than the Bar Mills kit, a single panel will need to be cut. I used the following lumber from Northeastern as it's exactly the same height as the rest of the wall sections:

Once cut and shaped, I had this:

From the same pack of lumber, I also cut a new wall section for the right hand side of the Tavern. I was hesitant using expensive lumber for a wall section that will be completely hidden by Izzy Fish Co (see below reference), but I figured I should, just in case I ever want to undo the Tribute diorama and reposition the Tavern elsewhere.

With everything cut, I braced my walls and 3D printed the stairs (matching the same number steps), finishing the print with board and batten siding

All in all, the majority of the Bar Mills kit is still being used, which is nice, but it just took some modding to get there.

More soon.

Dennis Bourey

Nice Job, I did not know they were one of the same. Learn something everyday..Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on November 23, 2020, 11:08:35 PM
Nice Job, I did not know they were one of the same. Learn something everyday..Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I remember thinking seeing the Bar Mills kit for the first time and thinking "something is missing", but it's taken me reproducing it to appreciate that a fair chunk was omitted from the original. I can only but assume this was done for cost reasons - and making the building fit in one of those neat Bar Mills boxes ;)

Dennis Bourey

Craig, You got pic's of all sides?...Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on November 23, 2020, 11:25:27 PM
Craig, You got pic's of all sides?...Dennis

Photos of all sides of F&SM's Saulenas? I'm using John's photos in the From the Air albums official forum. Do you have more?

Dennis Bourey

No, I was curious. It's gonna be a great build...Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

Thanks for following along Dennis.

I may put up some measurements of the new wall sections and upload the 3D stairs for printing, for anyone who wants to do the same mod :)

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Rusty.

Interesting to study the changes from the original.  I took a good hard look of all your photos to get my head around it.

Cheers, Mark.

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: mark dalrymple on November 23, 2020, 11:53:53 PM
Looking good, Rusty.

Interesting to study the changes from the original.  I took a good hard look of all your photos to get my head around it.

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark! Yeah, it's a head scratcher — to the point I actually thought it may be easier to scratchbuild completely.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

That's nice!   I like kitbashes, particularly when they're so well conceived.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 24, 2020, 09:15:07 AM
Excellent modeling.

Thank you, Sir.

Quote from: deemery on November 24, 2020, 09:52:56 AM
That's nice!   I like kitbashes, particularly when they're so well conceived.

dave

Kind words, Dave — thank you. If I can do well by George and Paul's original I'll be happy!

I'm wondering whether to scratchbuild Izzy Fish Co or sub-in/kitbash Gordon Novelty from FOS, as it has similar aesthetics.

tom.boyd.125

RR,
That is a neat area of the FSM to model.
Never knew that the Bar Mills kit of the tavern was a shorter version till you mentioned it in this thread.
Looking forward to your progress photos.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Keep It Rusty

Hey everyone.

With Thanksgiving all done and dusted, I managed to get some bench-time over the weekend.

First, I got all the walls painted. I started with a wash of Hunterline Golden Brown and then, once dry, applied a semi-thin 50/50 coat of Yellow Ochre and Camel from Americana/Folk Art. It was a mix I felt most in line with the original.

Then I painted and glued all my trim pieces. The color is Heritage Brick from Americana (I did apply Colorado Red from Hunterline first, but I'm not sure it helped the final base color much.

Before assembling, I printed and glued a couple signs. The "Dutch Laundry" sign was a mix of ads I found online to suit my shape and size I needed. I couldn't locate the original ad used. The coca-cola sign was an easy find and the Rooms 25¢ was a custom print. Again, I took time here to match the original font.

I assembled the walls and then began work on the wall capping. This is $0.30 strip basswood from my LHS. It was painted with Heritage Brick as well and cut and glued into place.

Side note: I've decided to assembled my walls and then weather the clapboard. It's still easy to do it this way and I figure it could help gauge the amount of weathering I do, seeing as the walls are all "in context of one another".

The build is in its rough, first draft stage. I'm about 30% done.

This has left me with the following attached images, with one for reference.

Another step closer to the Saulenas' Tavern as we know it!

Dennis Bourey

Craig, You did a Beautiful job...Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)