“Rocky Point Harbor” - an F&SM Tribute

Started by Keep It Rusty, November 03, 2020, 11:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep It Rusty

It really is. And they come with 5 different magnification lenses. The only thing I've had to do is add foam to the bridge. Metal and rubber don't agree with my nose.

ACL1504

Craig,

The tools/machinery in the shed look wonderful. Most excellent all the way.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Keep It Rusty

Thank you, Tom! Having a lot of fun with this little shop. It was photographed above still unfinished ;)

I think my next update will be the finished build of Emporium.

Pennman

Craig,

I like the "wall Art"... machines don't look too bad either !!

Rich

Keep It Rusty

I got a lot done since the last post as I wanted this one to showcase the finished Emporium.

Here's everything that I did between then and now:

Painted all the castings
Finished the maintenance shop, including the roof and fully detailed interior.
Finished the rear loading dock
Finished the stairways at the front and rear
Installed canopies and awnings
Detailed the wharf
Finished the power line
Added ground cover, including the planked crossing.
Added Preisers, pigeons, cardboard boxes and other various details.

This is, truly, one of my favorite FSM kits. It's an attractive structure, but all the details, variations of roofing materials, nice lines, the wharf and its detail... it all adds up to be an impressive harbor scene in itself.

I still have work to do on this build, including:

Adding the water
Adding the small office building (from Bailey's Produce)
Adding the lower wharf decks
Adding the roadway barriers
Adding vehicles
Adding a fuel tank and piping for the wharf pump
Adding extra detail (like a jib crane)

So if I'm not finished, why upload photos now? Well, I want to show you exactly what the kit gives you! The only things I have added to the kit for the following photos are the Preisers, the code 70 rail, the track bumper and the bicycle. Everything else is 100% kit! It's amazing.

Yes, it's a hard find, and an expensive one when you do find it, but I can't recommend it enough. Love this kit.

One thing of note before I show you the photos — please excuse the basement background in some of these. The diorama base is so large I can't fit it in my normal photo area!

Without further ado, here's my Emporium:

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

Hey Craig:

WOW!!!!!! beautiful job on the Emporium. Built that for my friend not to long ago.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Fantastic work, Craig!

Just beautiful.

Cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

Very impressive detailing.....well done Craig.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PaulS

Outstanding build Craig, just beautiful from so many angles !!
Very well done and thank you for sharing your progress, tips and techniques with us along the way[size=78%],[/size]
All the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Bernd

Nice job Craig. That detailing is beautiful work. Looks like a lot of effort went into building this model.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on April 01, 2021, 12:11:27 AM
NOW THAT'S A WORK OF ART!!!!!!!

Thank you, Dennis. I'm so glad you like it :)

Quote from: postalkarl on April 01, 2021, 12:14:14 AM
Hey Craig:

WOW!!!!!! beautiful job on the Emporium. Built that for my friend not to long ago.

Karl

I caught a couple glimpses of yours. It's such a beautiful kit. Thank you for your continued support, Karl.

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on April 01, 2021, 12:42:55 AM
Fantastic work, Craig!

Just beautiful.

Cheers, Mark.

Thank you, Mark. I'm kinda sad it's all finished. At least I have the rest of the tribute to still focus on ;)

Quote from: GPdemayo on April 01, 2021, 08:33:45 AM
Very impressive detailing.....well done Craig.  8)

Appreciate it, Gregory! Thank you. It's all in the details.

Quote from: PaulS on April 01, 2021, 08:37:56 AM
Outstanding build Craig, just beautiful from so many angles !!
Very well done and thank you for sharing your progress, tips and techniques with us along the way[size=78%],[/size]
All the best,
--Paul

Thank you, Paul. I'm so glad you've enjoyed the journey. Doing write-ups is important to me because it's write-ups from others that got me into the HO world in the first place. Always happy to give back to this amazing community and hobby.

Quote from: Bernd on April 01, 2021, 08:54:16 AM
Nice job Craig. That detailing is beautiful work. Looks like a lot of effort went into building this model.

Bernd

Thanks, Bernd. I approximate 100 hours of building over a 5-week period for this one. Loved every second! George's detailing and engineering make FSM kits a delight. He recently told me over 20 hours went into sculpting the master for that shop lathe!

tom.boyd.125

Craig,
Thanks for finding this forum to share your special modeling talent.
Your builds are all top notch and there is a wealth of information you used that need to be tried at our end to improve all skill levels.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Opa George

Craig,

A masterpiece and it provides tons of inspiration for me and I'm sure everyone here.  Thanks very much for all your detailed posts and pics.

--Opa George

Jerry

Craig that is a thing of "Beauty"!

Just wonderful work all the way around the building & details perfecto!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln