RDA Delaney Iron Works

Started by nycjeff, November 09, 2020, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Quote from: ReadingBob on November 17, 2020, 06:57:29 AM
Wow.  Great progress Jeff.  Everything looks really well done.  Keep up the great work.   :)

Hello Bob, thank you the nice compliments. I have really been enjoying this RDA kit, I know that it's just a plastic kit, but it's not your typical plastic kit. I think it will be a nice addition to my layout.

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on November 17, 2020, 07:12:18 AM
Excellent coloring on the brick!

-Steven

Hey Steven, I have tried several brick wall techniques and I am most pleased with how this one came out. Thanks for the kind words.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

MAP

Mark

nycjeff

Quote from: MAP on November 17, 2020, 09:07:47 AM
Looking great Jeff!

Hey Mark, thank you. I've had a good time with this build.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Continuing on...

Next I started on the loading docks. I chose not to use the kit supplied docks- they seemed too big and clunky. Using a deck template I built two docks- one for the front of the stone building and one for under the walkway on the side of the brick building. You can also see a small railing and the stairs for the front dock. I only recently started using a jig for my stairs, and what a difference it makes. If you don't have a stairway jig- get one, it will make your life so much easier. Always learning in this hobby.

I've started to add details to the roof and the walls. The smokestacks are drinking straws painted black and the wall/ window vents came from my stash box.

A better view of the smokestacks and the rear walls

The chimneys came with the kit. The vent stack from my stash box and a good view of the window that I covered with stripwood. I like the looks of this, it was my first time trying this detail.

You can see the 1/16 styrene rod that I glued onto the vertical wall seams here.

A view of the front walls. This view is the one that sold me on this kit. I really like the walkway connecting the two buildings. That's it for now, more in a minute.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

I've added some detail casting tro the loading docks and scratchbuilt a couple of iron works type yard details. I got the idea for the storage rack from one of Steve Custer's build threads. He used his for wood storage, mine is for iron storage. The other is just some scrap pieces of styrene on some stripwood.

I made my usual thin styrene base and painted and laid down some scenery materials. The buildings have been glued down as well as the loading docks, stairs and some details.

Here you can see the wheel hoist above the second story freight door. This hoist came with the kit, but I modified it slightly and added some A-0line chain in place of the thread that came with the kit.

This is the rear view- not many details here, this side won't be seen on my layout

The left side will also not be seen when I plant the building in it's designated space.

This is a roof view. The biggest changes that I made with the kit were the roofs. I think that replacing the plastic roof panels that came with the kit with these new roofs made a big difference in the overall appearance of the finished structure. The shingles came from KC's workshop and the roll-roofing is black construction paper painted grey and then black again following the methods explained by Jason Jenson in one of his excellent video tutorials. More in a minute
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

The building has been placed onto my layout and I've started to blend in the scenery. Some of the dirt driveway is still wet.

As you can see, this kit lives next to my last build- the Steelton Feed building. This area on my layout used to be a forested area with some rocks and several levels. I needed some more room for my buildings so a bit of rural development was undertaken. I really enjoyed this RDA kit. Don't let some negative comments on the interweb discourage you from these kits. They are very affordable and can be made into some really nice additions to a layout with a little bit of work. That's it for this build. I'm thinking about a Campbell kit for my next build. Thanks to everyone for looking in and for their comments and compliments.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

That turned out really well.  Great work!

Jeff

nycjeff

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 19, 2020, 04:40:34 PM
Great looking building Jeff.

Hello Curt, thanks, I'm real happy with the way it came out

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on November 19, 2020, 06:10:31 PM
That turned out really well.  Great work!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I had a lot of fun with this build
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

rpdylan

It seems to me that the kit should just come with cardboard roof cards and shingles, strip wood and dock templates,,,, save money on the manufacture by eliminating the plastic,,,,
Bob C.

nycjeff

Quote from: rpdylan on November 21, 2020, 01:26:53 AM
It seems to me that the kit should just come with cardboard roof cards and shingles, strip wood and dock templates,,,, save money on the manufacture by eliminating the plastic,,,,

Hello Bob, I agree with you, but the price of the RDA kits is so reasonable it makes it easy to just not use the parts you don't want and replace them with other alternatives. If you look at all of the RDA kits you will see similarities, some stone walls and definitely the detail casting sprues  are used in different kits. All of this contributes to the low cost of the kits. If I'm not mistaken RDA kits have been around for quite a while and have had different owners. I think you just take what you get and make the kit as you see fit. Anyway, I recommend these kits.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

jerryrbeach

Jeff,

The two kits really compliment each other in their location on your layout.  Any chance we could see a few more photos of the layout?
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

You did A beautiful job on that one. Like the kit on the left also. Looks great on the layout and I'll go along with Jerry.

Karl

nycjeff

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 21, 2020, 07:00:16 AM
Jeff,

The two kits really compliment each other in their location on your layout.  Any chance we could see a few more photos of the layout?

Hello Jerry, thank you. I also like the way my rural development turned out with the two kits. I have posted some pictures  in the layout tours section of the forum and I plan on  some more posts in that area. 

Quote from: postalkarl on November 21, 2020, 07:02:00 AM
Hey Jeff:

You did A beautiful job on that one. Like the kit on the left also. Looks great on the layout and I'll go along with Jerry.

Karl

Thank you Karl
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

You are quite welcome. I enjoyed the build.

Karl