FOS Scale Models "Oyster Hill" HO kit #200

Started by madharry, November 14, 2020, 07:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Looks great. That's a lot of progress for one day.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Very nice little restaurant.  I like the curtains.  Nice touch.
--Opa George

madharry

Thanks Curt and George, I appreciate it.
Mike

madharry

Continuing................
I have added the roof and sign.
Mike

postalkarl

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

madharry

postalkarl

madharry

Continung.............I decided to start on another ancillary building - The Burdick Freight House. The walls were identified and braced before using the sponge method to apply some light blue acrylic paint.
Mike

madharry

Continuing................the walls and roof come together.........
Mike

postalkarl

Hey Mike:

Looking good so far. Like the color you are using.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Looks good so far Mike. I really like the coloring.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

Thanks Karl and Curt. I hit a snag with the kit. There should be some 3/32 sq wood in the kit to make some bents. This is usually colour coded yellow. I checked the wood supplies in the Dead Horse Bay kit. Unfortunately this kit does not use that size. I then looked inside my Bandit's Roost kit where I found some yellow coded wood. Using one sample I then checked it's sizing against my odds and ends box. This contains all the leftovers from other kits over the years. Eureka. I found several bits that I am able to use for the bents. So I can model on.................. :)
Mike

ReadingBob

That looks great so far Mike! 

The snag you hit with the missing 3/32 square wood is one of my pet peeves.  It annoys me when a certain size strip wood is missing or there wasn't enough supplied in the kit.  I've stained, painted, weathered, dry brushed, etc. all the strip wood of a certain size that came with a kit the trim color only to find out I was short several inches.  Then I have to find another piece in my scrap box (if I'm lucky) and repeat the stain, paint, weather, dry brush process.  It annoys me even more so if it's an odd size that I don't have on hand. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

deemery

It's worth buying a bag of 1/16 square and of 3/32 square stripwood just for those "missing piece" situations.  Also a bag or bulk buy of 1/8" square stripwood for extra bracing.  The problem these days is finding a good source for bagged stripwood, it's really rare to see that stuff at a train show or hobby shop these days.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to