FOS Scale Models "Dead Horse Bay" HO kit #230

Started by madharry, November 14, 2020, 07:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Mike,

Very nicely done all the way. Looks very good. I love it!

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Coming along nicely. 

Sorry to read about the house thing.  I live in a resort area and the inventory is super low.  More and more resort properties are going condo.  Hopefully there is something else out there.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

madharry

Thanks very much John, Curt, Dave, Tom and Bob for your kind comments. Dead Horse Bay is big kit and I am jumping around as I want to let things to set up before I attempt any more of the build. Horvath is an irregular shape and the edges of two walls need to be altered. There is a plan in the kit and I have married up the walls on the plan and I am allowing them to dry. The apex of the roof needs to added but for now everything is bit fragile especially as to save on materials there is a missing wall or two a la Fos.
Mike

madharry

Jumping back to Terrien I have glued together the inset loading dock. Once again I will allow for drying time...............

madharry

Continuing.............the kit has four shacks to make. Shack 2 is made from task board covered by 2x10's. The instructions call for glueing the walls together and then applying 3M tape. I find it is easier to add the tape to the walls when they are flat. I cannot run to 3M tape so I use carpet tape at £1 from my local Poundstore. I also cut out the openings in the tape as from experience it is far harder to remove the excess wood with the tape still applied. Also when applying the 2x10's I start from the bottom and trim each piece on the apex with scissors. Then I start on the next piece from the top using the angle already cut. This saves on wood....................
Mike

Mark Dalrymple

Some more really nice work, Mike.

I like that refrigeration door - a bit different.

Cheers, Mark.

madharry

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 18, 2021, 12:46:51 PM
Some more really nice work, Mike.

I like that refrigeration door - a bit different.

Cheers, Mark.
Thanks very much Mark.
Mike

madharry

Continuing with shack 2......................I covered the walls with stained 2x10's. I then carefully cut out the openings before glueing the walls together. The floor has holes in it for pilings as in the suggested diorama the shack hangs over the edge of the coastline. To ensure the pilings do not come right through the floor I added some card to the inside of the floor.

madharry

Continuing.............the widows are very fragile and just fit into the frames. I glued them first of all to some acetate. I then cut them out leaving a little acetate at the top and bottom as an aid to glueing them inside the frames. I then framed the windows on the outside with 2x4's and 2x10's.

madharry

Continuing............I added some 2x6 roof trim and then covered the roof with double sided tape before adding some etched Campbell's aluminium panels. I painted the floor matt black so the plain card would not be noticed when the shack is finally placed on the diorama. Finally I placed a 2x6 as a ridge cap.
Mike

madharry

Continuing....................here is Horvath. As can be seen there are two walls missing and it is an irregular shape. I am going to let the joints dry before moving forward.
Mike

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

madharry

Thanks very much Curt and Karl. Continuing........................here are some progress pictures of how the two buildings come together.
Mike

GPdemayo

Great progress Mike.....I especially like Shack #2.  8)

Have a safe move and don't forget progress photos on the new master suite and closet.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL