FOS Scale Models "Dead Horse Bay" HO kit #230

Started by madharry, November 14, 2020, 07:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

The contrast in colors really gives the build eye appeal.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

madharry

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 20, 2021, 08:23:34 AM
Great progress Mike.....I especially like Shack #2.  8)

Have a safe move and don't forget progress photos on the new master suite and closet.  :)
Thanks Greg. I just want to get the move over but will keep you posted.
Mike

madharry

madharry

Continuing........... the Horvath building is a little bit of a tease. Going back to the storefronts roof 603 was stated as the roof for that building. In the event it did not fit. I discovered it was really meant for Horvath. I had already covered it in rolled roofing and naively thought it would fit Horvath. No. Tick marks are printed on the roof for the placement of the roof tails. I assumed the reverse was the top of the roof and had applied rolled roofing to that side. Wrong! The tick marks are printed on the top side and as the roof is an irregular shape it consequently does not fit. No matter I cut a new roof from card. The apex roof has to be a fine judgement as to fit as it is not a full wall in order to save material (?). Because of the irregular shape the lower roof will not be flat. See gap. The clue here is the bump out which will be placed on top of the roof and this has different length walls. Nothing in the instructions warns the builder of this. So if anyone is building this please be aware. For the meantime I will go on to another part of the kit.
Mike

madharry

Continuing...........I have jumped to making The Boiler House. There are wood sections along the side above the metal panelled walls. The wood frames are very delicate. I carefully removed them from their carrier sheet with a single edged blade. Unfortunately I broke one frame and lost one the dividers between the windows. I cut a piece of wood from 1/16 sq stock to replace this. Try as I might I could not get the frame to glue back together correctly. I hit on the idea of using the windows to correct the problem. After glueing them to acetate I cut them out leaving some acetate at the top and bottom of the window. Then using the windows as a guide I used glue top and bottom to fit them into the frame glueing the missing divider between the windows.
Mike

madharry

Here are the parts for the Boiler House. I have added the windows to the frames and covered the walls in double sided tape.
Mike

madharry

Continuing.................the roofs, concrete base and metal cladding has been prepped...............
Mike

madharry

Continuing................. I decided to use the Northeastern "aluminium" cladding for this build. I painted the material light grey and then used a sponge to apply the green before using Bragdon powders to add rust. The inside of the walls were painted black and I dry brushed the inside of the windows with a dirty grey to conceal the fact that there is no interior.
Mike

madharry

Using my double sided carpet tape and applied the panels to the walls while flat.

madharry

The join between the laser cut windows and the mattboard is rather weak so I used a 2x10 to strengthen the joint.

madharry

The walls coming together.

madharry

The boiler house sits on a matt board base.

madharry

The final pictures. The chimney is a straw with some masking tape strips added and painted matt black. The roofs are very flimsy and I added some bracing to support them.
Mike

Opa George

Mike, that boiler house looks really nice.  Good combination of colors.  The straw with tape cast iron chimney is effective, too.  Nice touch.

--Opa George