FOS Scale Models "Dead Horse Bay" HO kit #230

Started by madharry, November 14, 2020, 07:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

Quote from: postalkarl on February 13, 2021, 09:42:05 AM
Hey Mike:

Looks just great. Can't wait to see it done.

Karl
[/quote
Thanks Karl I am on the last mile  I hope..............thanks for yours comments.
Mike ;)

postalkarl

hey Mike:

You are quite welcome as always.

Karl

madharry

Continuing................the coal bin has been completed. I used Campbell's corrugated suitably etched and weathered.

madharry

Continung.............I completed the staircases at the front of the building. I broke the little metal ladder that connects the staircase on the Horvath roof with the lower deck. So I scratchbuilt a wooden one instead. I think it looks OK. The rest of the railings were slowly added. I found it best to leave the posts to set up overnight before adding the railings cut to fit.

madharry

Continuing.........two loading docks and a little ramp needed to be constructed.
Mike

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Good looking progress on that structure, Mike.  That is an odd stair/platform arrangement with the covered shed in the middle, presumably an entrance to the second floor.  Quirky, but I like quirky. 

--Opa George

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

Mike,

Love the outside staircase, great job on it.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Mike.

When I scratch build stairs I cut 4"x4" squares our of the end of the treads where the posts will go.  I then cut my posts longer to get fixing onto the side of the stringer.  this gives far better fixing and is more prototypical.  You can imagine you would want those posts to be pretty strong - so in this way you could add a couple of coach bolts attaching the post to the stringer.  Easy to model with nut-bolt-washer castings for added detail.

Cheers, Mark.

madharry

madharry

Quote from: Opa George on February 14, 2021, 04:40:40 PM
Good looking progress on that structure, Mike.  That is an odd stair/platform arrangement with the covered shed in the middle, presumably an entrance to the second floor.  Quirky, but I like quirky. 

--Opa George
Yes it is quirky. What follows are the wrap up shots as I to clear my desk for the move. Thanks for your comments.
Mike :)

madharry

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 14, 2021, 05:16:07 PM
Mike,

Love the outside staircase, great job on it.

Tom  ;D
Thanks Tom it is not perfect as Mark points out. I was in a bit of a rush to get it done in time for the move.
Mike :)

madharry

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 15, 2021, 01:34:31 AM
Looking good, Mike.

When I scratch build stairs I cut 4"x4" squares our of the end of the treads where the posts will go.  I then cut my posts longer to get fixing onto the side of the stringer.  this gives far better fixing and is more prototypical.  You can imagine you would want those posts to be pretty strong - so in this way you could add a couple of coach bolts attaching the post to the stringer.  Easy to model with nut-bolt-washer castings for added detail.

Cheers, Mark.
Thanks Mark. You are right it is not perfect. I'm afraid I was in a bit of rush to get this building done. Unfortunately it would take a bit more time to correct it right now as I am packing up everything for my move. The last few weeks have been very stressful with several last minute demands from my purchaser.
Mike

madharry

Final pictures until I create a diorama. We are moving house on Monday. Unfortunately the seller has just advised that he will not be ready in time. So we will need to move to our second home and wait it out. This means I will be off the radar a bit but as Arnie would say "I will be back!".
I have not glued down the tower yet as I need to transport this baby to Somerset in the boot (trunk) of my car. The tower is more than a little delicate...............
Thanks everybody for watching. I intend combining Dead Horse Bay, Execution Rocks, Oyster Hill, Bandit's Roost, Cundy Harbour and Seabiscuits into one diorama on my planned layout. I hope to post some pictures one day. I have only to complete Bandit's Roost as all the others are now built.
Mike