Scale Structures Tickner's Watchworks question

Started by Mark Dalrymple, December 01, 2020, 04:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Was considering buying this kit.  Does anyone know what kind of windows the Scale Structures version has?  Are they metal, or lines drawn on the glazing?  If the later, has anyone found a Tichy or Grandt line window that works?  If so what one?  Also - would be keen to get the dimensions of the walls (not sure if the ones given on the Scale Structures site include protrusions such as the stairs etc).  Any other information would be good, such as how it went together, quality of castings...

Thanks in advance, cheers, Mark.

madharry

Mark a lot of the kits on their website look like the old Magnusson kits. I have built quite a few of them an  hotel, the miners hall the Chicago style townhouses and they all had moulded windows to which you had to add styrene to, cut to fit................
Mike

Oldguy

I'm guessing metal windows.  From the kit description - ". . . .  poured resin walls and roof with hand cast pewter detail . . ."

Here's a photo of the Magnuson version - https://www.modelbuildingservices.com/slacs1.html
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks, guys.

So far we have one vote each way!

Mike - I also have a Magnuson powerhouse and that kit has cast metal windows.

Attached is a photo I took in 2015 of one of my favourite of George's kit-bashes on the F&SM.  I'm looking to do something similar in a very similar space.  You can see George has 4/4 sash windows in his version, which is in contrast to Bob's link showing  1/1 sash windows.   I like the look of the 4/4 best.  Of course these were probably fabricated by George, or perhaps Tichy, Grandt Line, or his own castings doctored to fit.

Cheers, Mark.

Dennis Bourey

Mark, The windows are made into the mold's. They have strip wood going across,  I have this kit and see pic's attached Part Number #964... Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks Dennis.

Would you be so kind, as you have the kit out, to provide the dimensions of the three walls you have photographed?  Length x height.  That would be great!  The kit will not likely arrive until next year, and if I have the measurements I can do some design work and make up a reasonable mock-up.

I just purchased this kit along with a few ornate windows.  The kit is quite different in cast concrete to anything else I can think of.  $19 flat rate to NZ - which I thought was pretty good!  They are advertising a shipping sale - probably to get more orders during Covid19.  Worked on me!  We also have new tax laws in NZ which means if you buy from any overseas company that does less than $60,000 worth of business with NZ annually there is no goods and services tax to pay (15%).  Another bonus!  I may have a go at fabricating some 4/4 windows and casting.  We will see.

Cheers, Mark.

Dennis Bourey

Mark,I will put on cutting mat and show you in Metric or Reg Measurement's? our choice..Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

Here you go sir...Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks so much, Dennis!

Living in a metric country and posting on a USA site - I'm OK with either, but prefer to work in metric.  The whole 3.5mm equals 1 scale foot in HO scale is convenient, and pretty accurate.  The actual number is 3.499 (3dp).

Cheers, mark.

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

tom.boyd.125

Mark,
Purchased the original Magnuson Tickner's kit over 20 years ago. Only thing in the box for the windows was a pile of strip wood.
Solution back then was to take the 40 pane Grandt Line roundhouse windows ( which were 3 for 50 cents ) before I glazed windows, cut those up and
attached them with goo to the back of the resin walls. Project was boxed up when we moved, and moved again, and moved again...now retired etc. to revist it for a background structure.
Here is some info for you. Used a yellow spray primer and Floquil red and grey paints on these walls.  Like that structure too on the FSM. Hope this helps your project.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks, Tommy.

My kit-bash will sit maybe two foot from the front of the layout, so will probably want a frame.  I'll check out my various windows when the kit arrives to see what might work.

Cheers, Mark.

bparrish

Mark........

I too am a metric person even though I live in the inch part of the world.  I find it so much easier to use when scratch building.

If you have a digital caliper, you may find it has a conversion button from metric to inch that would make such switching back and forth very quick and easy.

Tichy Train Group has both scale window dimensions for their products as well as decimal inch dimensions for the rough openings.

Someone owns Grandt Line now and their previous pages had similar dimensions.  I don't know if the new owners have put such data up on their site.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?