The St. Louis & Denver Railroad - The Build

Started by GPdemayo, December 21, 2013, 09:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Late Breaking News ...Flash...Extra...
Press Release...Whatever

The St. Louis & Denver Railroad build will be moving to this forum in the very near future.

As soon as Doug and the gang get the issues of photo sizing and photo placement resolved, I will begin adding the posts of the layout build from the beginning to the present.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ranny9

NEMMRRC

Photos can now be 1024kb each and you can upload up to 6 of them.

Jaime

GPdemayo

Quote from: ranny9 on December 21, 2013, 01:21:31 PM
I can hardly wait. Your work is amazing!

Thank you very much Ranny, I appreciate your kind thoughts.

I will try really hard not to disappoint!  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: NEMMRRC on December 21, 2013, 03:37:25 PM
Photos can now be 1024kb each and you can upload up to 6 of them.

Jaime

Thanks Jamie, I'll give it a try soon...like now with this old photo...
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Good Morning Greg. Looking forward to seeing your layout progress. I've been feeding Tom some ideas and have a few more waiting in the wings. I'll be posting some of my layout pics soon. Doing a little clean up prior to John Mancuso's visit.

Frank / Erieman

GPdemayo

Quote from: erieman on December 22, 2013, 10:03:35 AM
Good Morning Greg. Looking forward to seeing your layout progress. I've been feeding Tom some ideas and have a few more waiting in the wings. I'll be posting some of my layout pics soon. Doing a little clean up prior to John Mancuso's visit.

Frank / Erieman

Hi Frank:

Thanks for looking in and glad you're here!

It seems all the fun and joy left the "other" place when Jimmy sold it to VS and I think that I would rather do my postings here rather that over on the "other" forum. I'll start out by recreating the build thread over here and then begin to post some progress as it occurs after the holidays.

I am really green with envy that John is getting out there before Tom or I, drat this crappy economy.

Well, off to get a couple of stocking stuffers for Pegi and maybe a quick unannounced visit with Tom...stay safe and have a Merry Christmas.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Below is the start of the recreation of the thread for the Build of the St. Louis & Denver Railroad from the "other" forum.

Since we can't place the photos in the text and only at the end, I have left in the photo headings (Exhibit No. ?) and will add the photos in the order they are in the text.

Welcome -- Let The Fun Begin !!!

Welcome to all of you who are looking in on this thread. I hope you enjoy the build and have some fun as we go along.

This layout has been a long time coming and I am really looking forward to the challenges it will present. Unfortunately, it will take some time to build because I still have to interrupt my modeling with the necessity of making a living. But, now is the time for the procrastination to end - let the construction commence!

With this layout, I will attempt to capture the atmosphere and feel of the legendary St. Louis & Denver Railroad. If you haven't seen the 2 previous posts about the StL&D, please check them out in this same section of the forum. The St. Louis & Denver Railroad - Part 1 - The Introduction includes information about my years in the hobby and a history of the railroad. The St. Louis & Denver Railroad - Part 2 - The Design discusses the logic behind the design and a look at what I hope to accomplish.

Since most of the forum members like pictures, I plan on including quite a few. I will try real hard to not crash Jimmy's server.

I began planning this layout in the summer of 2009 when my wife and I moved into our new 40 year old home and I had the plan finalized by last fall. And yes Tom, I am working on plans for the full St.L&D in it's new home.

I have included the plan below for you to refer to as we go along.

Exhibit #1 - StL&D track plan

I have broken up the layout into 4 phases and will build them in the following order.

Phase 1 is the long thin area along the top with the mainline, chemical plant and brewery (also to be included is a winery to the right of the brewery).

Phase 2 and 3 are the areas on the right side containing the station, yard, engine service facility, coal yard, lumber mill and other businesses. This long 12' plus section will be split into nearly 2 equal lengths.

Phase 4 will be the mountain area with the logging and mining areas and part of the town of Moosebutt (I might change the name to "Galt's Gulch" from Ayn Rand's book Atlas Shrugged which was inspired by the real town of Ouray, CO).

Let's begin with the benchwork for Phase 1.

The material used for all benchwork will be #2 spf dimensional lumber, 4 ply - 1/2" CDX plywood and 1/2" homosote. I designed the base with a shelf for off-the-slab storage and a removable top will hold the railroad.

That top assembly is built of 1x4's that are attached to the base of each phase. It is designed this way because I want to build an addition onto the house in the near future and I have to be able to break the layout apart and move it into it's new home.
The picture below is the requisite photo of the material before assembly. The 2' x 4' layout on the sawhorses is a practice module that I built back in the early 80's when I was experimenting with my first hand laying of track.

Exhibit #2 - unassembled material (3)

Each base unit is made from 2x2 legs, cut from 2x4's, attached with 1x4's horizontal braces at the top and bottom. The bottom horizontal braces will hold the storage shelf - 1/2" CDX plywood and is about 6" off the floor. All attachments are with drywall screws.

Exhibit #3 - assembled base units (5)

Next, I cut the (4) 1x4 horizontal braces to the same length. It is critical that each base unit be identical, so that when the horizontal bracing is attached, the whole assembly is square, plumb and level.

Exhibit #4 - base units with cut horizontal braces (9)

Phase 1 construction to continue shortly.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ak-milw