A Narrow Gauge Icing Facility

Started by Larry.h, November 23, 2020, 12:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry.h

In the January/ February 2017 issue of the Narrow Gauge And Short Line Gazette, Peter Smith wrote an article describing his icing facility. It is a small facility that could serve a narrow gauge branch line. Peter included an HO scale drawing of his model. That drawing will be the basis for my facility.

Over the past few weeks I've been gathering all the parts and pieces needed to build it. Included are two San Juan Models reefers, A good selection of Northeastern scale lumber, Builders-In-Scale shingles and chain, a Musket Miniatures wagon, JL Innovative ice blocks, some Tichy doors, and a couple of bags of detail parts from my stash. For the roof vents I'm using the ones from a Banta Model Works Sargents Roundhouse kit.

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Larry.h

To begin the project, I cut a base out of 1/8" hardboard that fits the area where it will reside.

I'll be building the machinery house first. Peter built his to represent the use of electric motors. Since I'm modeling the late 19th century, I'll be adding a small boiler room to the back of the machinery house.

bparrish

Larry...

This is a great start.   Given what it takes for some craftsman kits out there, starting with raw materials as you describe is really cool and not much farther from conclusion than when you open the kit box.   I'm not sure if you are aware of the Achievement Program of the NMRA but this has all the starting points for an evaluatable model.  Some kits out there are also complex enough to be evaluated but many don't pursue it.

Go to the NMRA web page and under education click on Achievement Program.  Follow that to structures and take a moment to read the rubric for that area of construction.

You can use someone else's plans.  Take photos often and close up to demonstrate detail.

I'll be watching.  Let me know if you have additional questions.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Keep It Rusty

Look forward to your progress here, Larry. Wonderful beginnings.

Do you have a photo of the build in the article? Would be great to see what you're shooting for.

S&S RR

Larry

Great project - I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

Larry,

Sounds like a cool project.  Save me a seat.
Jerry

Larry.h

Quote from: bparrish on November 23, 2020, 12:51:14 PM
Larry...

This is a great start.   Given what it takes for some craftsman kits out there, starting with raw materials as you describe is really cool and not much farther from conclusion than when you open the kit box.   I'm not sure if you are aware of the Achievement Program of the NMRA but this has all the starting points for an evaluatable model.  Some kits out there are also complex enough to be evaluated but many don't pursue it.

Go to the NMRA web page and under education click on Achievement Program.  Follow that to structures and take a moment to read the rubric for that area of construction.

You can use someone else's plans.  Take photos often and close up to demonstrate detail.

I'll be watching.  Let me know if you have additional questions.

see ya
Bob
Bob
Thanks for the encouragement. I have scratched a couple dozen structures in my day and quite a few kits as well.
In years past I considered the NMRA achievement program. It's just not for me. I will take a look at their web site and see what I can learn.

Larry.h

Thanks to all of you who are following along. I hope you will give constructive criticism as needed and provide ideas down the trail.

Larry.h

The main walls of the machinery house are to be clapboard siding. The boiler room addition will be board and batton.  I've been wanting to try using individual scale 1x6 boards for this. I have seen others do it with great results. With that in mind, today I cut out the walls from Northeastern lumber clapboard siding and prepped 4 packages of 1x6 for painting. The weather tomorrow should be warm enough to spray them outside. I also cleaned up a few of the details I will be using.

Mark Dalrymple

Very interesting, Larry.

I'm watching.

Cheers, Mark.

deemery

A set of San Juan (formerly Grandt) or Tichy reefer hinges work well on the icehouse doors.  Remember those were heavy and insulated (just like on reefers.) 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jerry

Nice start Larry.  I'll follow along.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larry.h

Mark, Dave and Jerry - Thanks for joining. The more the better.