Evergreen Hill Designs - Shenandoah Crossing

Started by Oldguy, November 25, 2020, 05:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Bob,
Nice start on what looks like a really interesting and intricate kit. 

When you mentioned the thickness of the walls at 1/32, I immediately thought of how you would handle interior lighting, if you are adding it.  My experience with that thickness of wall material is that, for me, the interior light showed through the wall as if it was paper.  Maybe I used a light that was too bright, though.  I used the Woodland Scenics Just Plug lights.

Looking forward to hanging out and watching your build!

--Opa George

jerryrbeach

Bob,

Clever solution to where the roof meets the wall.
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks great. keep the pics flowing.

Karl

GPdemayo

Neat looking kit Bob.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

Let's see where was I.  Oh yeah, adding 2x4's.  Still at it.  I will admit, that once a wall has been framed it becomes fairly stiff.  I'm impressed.
So, as I mentioned, in keeping with reducing all water based stuff off the walls, the kit provided two 5x8 colored cards  I choose the green one for the gas office walls.  I used transfer tape to adhere the card to the wall and then trimmed as necessary.  I have left the continuous bottom plate in place until the wall gets installed.  The reverse side of this wall is garage interior and bathroom.  The kit includes a toilet, sink, sink waste pipe, two handled faucet set, a wall sconce, and mirror.  To aid in mounting the sink, I added some blocking.  Not sure how to add a reflective surface to the mirror. Oh wait.  I do have some metal duct tape.  Hmmm, Might work.

To ensure that opposing walls have the same dimensions, I placed them so I can ensure that the framing matches at the ends so when those walls get attached, the building is square.  And once I had the lower wall done, I added a weight for over nite curing.  I should mention that the block gets used after each 2x4 is added.  It helps keep things flat.

I should note that there were three group sizes of 2x4s.  One group went from 0.018 - 0.020", another 0.021 - 0.023", and the last at 0.021 - 0.26.  Believe it or not, these are readily noticeable after the first dozen or so  I managed to keep the last group relegated to framing,  There will be other uses for the thinnest of the group for interior trimming.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

NKP768

Nice looking work Bob,

For a nice reflective surface you might take a tip from the auto modelers and use Bare metal Foil.

Doug

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks like you are moving right along. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: postalkarl on December 07, 2020, 07:06:32 PM
Hey Bob:

Looks like you are moving right along. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl
This thing is dragging on.  So the bathroom details even include a toilet paper roll dispenser and soap holder.  So, there is a sink with drain line, including a p-trap, so I need to add a waste vent stack.  That and since the interior is to be shown, I need to paint the insides of the windows and be really neat on the "glass".  That and add interior window trims and baseboards.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

To determine where the roof will fall on the other two sides, I needed to cut out and assemble the roof form template.  Really cleaver way of doing it.  Then it is a matter of locating where the roof angle was going to hit them.  However, the larger of the two walls shown, goes in at an angle and it to be fitted after all other walls are glued together.  And plan on it needing to be cut to fit.  Sigh.

The partition wall between the garage and office is a puzzler.  Why a short wall?  No idea.  It's just how it was designed.  The instructions have one install 2x6 trim around the door.  2x6?  The wall is 8" thick.  So a 1x8 will work better.  Then it calls for a piece of 2x12  for a counter.  Okay, 1x12 it is.  Then I felt the need to frame the opening.  1x4 to the rescue.  I see that I need to fill in some gaps here and there.  That and locate some calendars and assorted wall objects de arte. 

IN the mean time, I really needed to figure out wall colors.  So I found a scrap pieces of siding and tested out various colors, both with out and with A&I.  Obviously, the A&I just darkened the pan pastel or weathering powders.  Pan pastels on the top two rows and the weathering powder in the single row below.

All the bare wall sections have been sprayed with a dullcoat to seal the wood before coloring.  This evens out the coloring.

I have also been cleaning some of the metal parts.  It took me awhile to figure out what this pile of parts was to become. 

A three shelf bookcase
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Keep It Rusty

Like seeing this come together, Bob.

And 22 bags of castings!? I think you could open a side business with that!

ACL1504

Bob,

Evergreen Hill Designs is the one manufacturer I've never built a kit from. All their kits had loads of casting, clean and sharp if I remember correctly.

I'm now on the bandwagon to following along on this adventure. Nice start even with all the required building steps.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks like you are still at it. Looking good.

Katl

Oldguy

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 09, 2020, 05:54:40 PM
Bob,

Evergreen Hill Designs is the one manufacturer I've never built a kit from. All their kits had loads of casting, clean and sharp if I remember correctly.

I'm now on the bandwagon to following along on this adventure. Nice start even with all the required building steps.

Tom  ;D
I originally thought the castings were from SSTLtd, but was politely informed that they were theirs.  Oops.  They both offer some of the same detail parts that I had to refer to, to figure out how some of the parts fit together.  Most parts are fairly clean, but some molds are starting to show their age.

I have their 1930's Gas Station, yet to be built.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

nycjeff

Hi Bob, what a nice job on all of the framing work. It's all looking great.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

Oldguy

Quote from: nycjeff on December 12, 2020, 04:23:00 PM
Hi Bob, what a nice job on all of the framing work. It's all looking great.    Jeff
Thanks Jeff.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond