Downtown Deco Addams Ave 3

Started by Zephyrus52246, December 18, 2020, 04:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

On my layout thread, I recently noted that I needed a taller structure than the planned one, to "block" a sight line.  I already have built this kit, and used it for the area, where it seems to work well.  However, I had already planned to use this on another area in the town.  Therefore, I'll build it again to use in one of the two spots.  I may (or may not) change the signs.  It's in the back of the town, and not very visible.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I doubt I can get by with the same color scheme.  And I suspect I'll rename the hotel, but otherwise, it's the same structure.  Here's the box contents.  Hydrocal castings, some styrene, plastic windows, signs. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

First up, the castings have flash on the edges, and the backs aren't perfectly flat, so carefully sand the edges (not the ones where brick or stone detail is).  I also sand the inside edges to a little more than the width of the side wall which needs to attach to it.  A big piece of sandpaper on flat plate glass is good for this.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Sand the tops of the walls as well, as they are usually a bit irregular/have flash as well.  Then the window openings need the flash removed.  A used #11 blade is good for this.  Then fit the windows to make sure they sit flat (and straight).  An issue on the right side of the structure is some plaster needs removing over the sills, where the tweezer points.  Carefully carve this out with the tip of the blade.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

All the windows/doors are then fitted.  On this structure, one of the upper double arch windows didn't quite sit parallel to the others and edges of the opening were slowly carved/sanded to correct this.  The windows are slightly off (only about a millimeter), but trying to correct this may leave a visible gap, so I'll live with it.  The reason I checked for the parallelness (is that even a word?) is that when I built this before, I noticed after the windows were in one was "off".   ::)

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Next up I painted the insides spray flat black, and then the fronts spray flat white.  This eliminates getting hydrocal on your fingers every time you touch the structure.  Then, using five minute epoxy, I start attaching one side wall to the front.  Don't attach the clamps too tightly, you might break the wall. After that dries, attach the other side wall.  This way, the front and side walls will be perpendicular.  Later you can sand the back wall to fit incase it's too wide.  If it's too short, I'd attach a piece of stripwood to it, and fill in the gap with spackle. Mine was slightly tight at the bottom.  Working on flat plate glass over a grid helps make sure everything is square.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I then sprayed the corners with the white paint to cover the slightly shiny glue areas which oozed out.   :-[  I braced the corners with some wood.  Don't throw away the cardboard that comes in the packing with the kit, the instructions suggest making an internal brace with this.  Again these were epoxied (and the cardboard Elmer's glued) in.  It's drying now, time to pick out some colors.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I use this epoxy instead of the type that comes in two attached syringes.  That type tends to get all epoxied up at the end.

Jeff

ReadingBob

Cool!   8)  A Downtown Deco build.  Can't wait to see what you do with this one.  I think I have it in my closet.  I keep telling myself I need to build a DD kit but something else always ends up cutting in line.  :D

Your comment on the windows not being aligned with one another brought back some memories.  When we got married in 1990 my wife and I bought an old, dumpy little row home in St. Clair, PA for $25k.  The two windows in the rear bedroom where obviously not level with one another.  They were off by an inch or two.  We put a new roof on that place, new carpet, wallpaper, etc. and ended up selling it for $20k ten years later when we moved to Florida.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

Great modeling so far. I'll be following.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Jeff.

I'll have to hunt out some epoxy glue like that.  My RDA Hermanson's mill plaster kit was horrific for the windows being out of level and plumb!

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Jeff

The build is looking great. 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

Looking forward to the build.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Looking good so far. I will be following along.

Karl

Opa George

Nice start on this, Jeff. I haven't tried any of the Downtown Deco structures yet, but they intrigue me. I'll be following.
--Opa George